Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well, I have ordered some red caliper paint to further personalise my
and I was just after some tips and hints to help me out when I get down to doing them. I was thinking of splitting the work over two weekends so I wouldn't get bored/tired and to help ensure i'm focused (hmm, nice pun) in getting a top notch result (i'm a perfectionist!) so any comments most welcome.

P.S. Here's how she looks now (after 3 hours clean/wax/hand scrub engine and surround)

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Window

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Car looks great, very shiny. Certainly worth the effort. I'd like my calipers done but my husband is not looking forward to doing it. Haven't really got the equipment to keep the car safely off the ground which is the main problem.

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE(Liz-whizz @ 3 Jan 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Car looks great, very shiny. Certainly worth the effort. I'd like my calipers done but my husband is not looking forward to doing it. Haven't really got the equipment to keep the car safely off the ground which is the main problem.

+1 i have a gravel driveway and would require a racing jack to be able to get under the sills and no axle stands
Can you rent the jacks? I love a shiny PB

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Lawwa. And love your wheels Liz. If i may ask how much did that cost?

Thanks NP - good point about the axle stands. As for the jack do you need a racing one as you have lowering springs or will I need one too?

·
Registered
2007 mk2 pfl in electric orange
4,808 Posts
QUOTE(Craig_SG1 @ 3 Jan 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Lawwa. And love your wheels Liz. If i may ask how much did that cost?

Thanks NP - good point about the axle stands. As for the jack do you need a racing one as you have lowering springs or will I need one too?

I have the car lowered and to get around the the jacking problem i have two small scaffold boards i drive the front wheels onto, the jacks not a problem for the back H.T.H

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(St Michael @ 3 Jan 2010, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the car lowered and to get around the the jacking problem i have two small scaffold boards i drive the front wheels onto, the jacks not a problem for the back H.T.H

Ah, well as I work at a scaffold hire place I can put that very good idea to use!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Glenster @ 3 Jan 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i HATE painting calipers.. its just the effort and time involved is a pain, its a job that by the time you get to the 3rd caliper your thinking "why did i start this!?"

Looks pukka when done tho!

You're not wrong there! I am not looking forward to doing them but I am looking forward to the result!

Question: What is that foam stuff on your car in your banner and more importantly does it work? (p.s. - love what you put underneath your banner (smiles per gallon - love it!)

·
Registered
379 Posts
QUOTE(Craig_SG1 @ 3 Jan 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're not wrong there! I am not looking forward to doing them but I am looking forward to the result!

Question: What is that foam stuff on your car in your banner and more importantly does it work? (p.s. - love what you put underneath your banner (smiles per gallon - love it!)

Its snowfoam, when i washed the car the other day it was the first time to see if it works well as the car was proper covered in salt and that, i was impressed by the results to be honest. I sprayed it in the arches and stuff and it broke down all the dirty in them and left the plastics looking black instead of covered in mud!

Basically all it does is break down the dirt before you wash it to aviod dragging the dirt along the paint and causing swirl marks.

Its also great fun to use - only thing is at first the neighbours think your mad!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I did start to use paint with a brush but hatted the brush marks so ended up using god old satin black paint from and arosol (over standard primer).

I did remove the brakes to ensure a quality job.

They have lasted better than I expected, no pealing/crazeying etc, they look as good as new (and subtle, I am getting on a bit LOL)

Rember top make sure your springs are nice and silver to contrast whatever colour you decide on and show you have taken time over the job etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Painting calipers (Red) is pretty much the next thing on my 'to do' list.

Craig_SG1 - I only live the other side of the river from you and work in Hull centre Mon - Fri. Also we pretty much have the same car from what I can tell (minus a DSCi remap on my side).

If you fancy, we could pool our efforts and do both cars calipers at the same time?

I'm sure that 4 hands and a pair of second opinions would go alot further than either of us alone. Plus it would be good to meet up a chat in general.

So far I worked out that lots of thin layers and lots of patients will win over on the caliper front. Also in general searches I found atleast 1 u-tube vids of some Kiwi Dudes using caliper specific spray paint to do do the job, result looked tidy enough to.

Not sure what paint you have bought but if we can get hold of any of this stuff could make it easier?

Either way, if your keen just reply here or PM me and well sort something out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Mogsy.uk @ 5 Jan 2010, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Painting calipers (Red) is pretty much the next thing on my 'to do' list.

Craig_SG1 - I only live the other side of the river from you and work in Hull centre Mon - Fri. Also we pretty much have the same car from what I can tell (minus a DSCi remap on my side).

If you fancy, we could pool our efforts and do both cars calipers at the same time?

I'm sure that 4 hands and a pair of second opinions would go alot further than either of us alone. Plus it would be good to meet up a chat in general.

So far I worked out that lots of thin layers and lots of patients will win over on the caliper front. Also in general searches I found atleast 1 u-tube vids of some Kiwi Dudes using caliper specific spray paint to do do the job, result looked tidy enough to.

Not sure what paint you have bought but if we can get hold of any of this stuff could make it easier?

Either way, if your keen just reply here or PM me and well sort something out.

Hi Mogsy. Thanks very very much for your post and if I had read that yesterday then I would have def said yes. But i had a slack day today and was allowed to have a go at work this afternoon. Here's the result.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Will be doing the others tomorrow and Friday if needed.

As I was painting them I was a bit dubious at first but when got wheel back on (after scrubbing the inside of it) I loved it. You def have to do it and if I can do it then trust me everyone can! I got my paint off ebay and was £18 with brush and cleaning spray.

As for meeting up and chatting general ST stuff then I would love that. I am new to all the things you can do with a good car as tbh I've only had average ones before! Any views and opinions and to see what you've done with yours would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
QUOTE(Craig_SG1 @ 6 Jan 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Mogsy. Thanks very very much for your post and if I had read that yesterday then I would have def said yes. But i had a slack day today and was allowed to have a go at work this afternoon. Here's the result.

View attachment 36047

Will be doing the others tomorrow and Friday if needed.

As I was painting them I was a bit dubious at first but when got wheel back on (after scrubbing the inside of it) I loved it. You def have to do it and if I can do it then trust me everyone can! I got my paint off ebay and was £18 with brush and cleaning spray.

As for meeting up and chatting general ST stuff then I would love that. I am new to all the things you can do with a good car as tbh I've only had average ones before! Any views and opinions and to see what you've done with yours would be great!

Oh Craig_SG1 nice work! The 1st one looks Bad
!

Well thats certainly decided it for me. I'll order my paint this evening.

Shame I missed the group modding opportunity by literally hours but 'thats life' I suppose.

Your lucky your work slows down enough for you to squeeze this in. If only I could be so lucky!

The main problem I have is that I really have no way of lifting my car to get the wheels off in the 1st place. Also I guess a cramped, shared, gravel drive way isnt going to help to much! Any suggestions you have other than the obvious purchase of a jack would be appreciated.

You'll have to send me some long shots of the whole car once you have the others done. As for the 'new to having a good car' thing, the feeling is mutual.I've only had it since the begining of December and so far A few footwell lights, ST Badges and some in car tech (satNav, Bluetooth, DVD, ipod etc.) I havn't done much.

I've been looking at getting some Dsci Software but so far with the bad weather I think I've only had 1 day where I've even had a slight oportunity to get 'rapid' so I'd have nothing to compare to!

either way let me know how you get on with the other 3 calipers and let me know if you have any free evenings in the next week or so and we can arrange a meet up somewhere in Hull.

keep up the good Work

Mogsy (Rob)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.