Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just come back from my first track day (novice), did it at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire through clubmsv.co.uk. Was wondering whether its something FocusSToc members tend to do much of?

I tried it to really test out my Mountune 260 upgrade (only mod I have) without getting caught with the dreaded speed camera and it was awesome, only had to let one car past but started to take it easy at that point as my tyres were shredding a bit and I had a 70 mile journey home - only did the morning session due to that actually so probably need to be less aggressive or have some instruction next time!!

At full tilt the Civic Type Rs were fractionally quicker through the corners, its a very bendy and hilly circuit and I suppose it was my first track day, but caught them easily enough on the straights. I can't have my car lowered as i use it for work and have to go up bumpy access and off road tracks occasionally but that would have made a huge difference. There was only one other Focus there, an RS the chap got about 5 years ago and I think we seemed pretty even.

I thought the Imprezas would muller me but as it turned out we were always on other side of the circuit unfortunately but everyone seemed to be of similar speed.

It was really good as a novice there was even an old Volvo estate which screamed round the chicane and I sure overtook an Impreza at some point. The girl driving the Volvo did have a BMW jacket on though so I don't think that was her usual car.

All in all, if anyone in the East Midlands area is looking at going on a track day just PM me and I'll see if I can make it. I would probably need to do another novice day with an instructor for 1 of the sessions so I don't kill my car though.

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
It cost me £89 plus a tenner for helmet hire (+ fuel at about 10-12mpg and wear and tear, tyres etc..!!), got there at 07.30 and you get X6 20 minute sessions (which doesn't sound much but is more than enough) and ends at 16.00.

I think i got the last place on the booking website so was fully booked and there was roughly 10 cars at most on the circuit at one time, you could run without having a car in front or behind you if u paced it right. They split us up into 2 car groups and 1 motorbike group, 20 mins each each hour.

I think if you go for one that isn't "novice" there will be a lot more cars on the circuit at the same time so even with my limited experience would recommend a novice one if you havn't done one before. They don't treat u like a novice, u just don't have an Ariel Atom screaming up behind you every few seconds!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very very tempting, i am working nights in Bognor Regis starting on Friday 26th March but may be able to squeeze it in then belt down to Bognor. I will def try to make it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It would be good to get a few more members to Cadwell this year there was only 4 of us went last year. That said it was a fantastic day which id recommend. Hope to see you there.

G

·
Andy,

Hi, I was at Cadwell on Sunday too. Have been trying to find pics of that day trawling through owners clubs as there was no company taking any that you could buy on Sunday. I was in the second group so got to watch your group going round. Thought your car looked one of the quickest and looked really planted and fast through the corners. Also thought one of the Civic drivers was pushing too hard too soon as he came off twice in the first few laps of the 1st "proper" session and nearly went into the back of my mate in the black WRX. That means it was me that got passed by the Volvo
but in my defense the girl wasnt driving at the time, was on of the crazy old guys and didnt fancy my chances against a tank!
Did you experience any problems when driving hard apart from the tyre wear, what was the fuel consumption like too?
I was filming my mate and took a few pics of your group on his camera, when he gets back off the rigs will see if there is any of your car round the track.

Bet the owner of the Lotus Europa is gutted!!

Chris

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sounds like it was an awesome day wish i could have been there. What happened to the Europa, I hope he didnt crash it I love those cars, my mate has one its an awesome machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts