Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys new member here.

I've been looking to buy a newer car for a little while. I have Fiesta ST atm, standard so only 150bhp. Cracking little car, been an angel never had any trouble in the year I've owned her. Bought her with 20,000 miles on the clock, when she was 2 years old, from a For dealer.

So a year on I've decided to sell the car and get a more powerful one, I was originally gonna stay around the same size car and get a Corsa VXR or a Clio 200. I would have bought the VXR second hand but the Clio 200 brand new, as the 200 is only been out a few months so no good second hand ones available. Have been put off the VXR because of the piston 4 horror stories, and in general the feedback on how unreliable the car is (been on the VXRonline website). I originally ruled out the Focus because I thought insurance would be too high (I'm 22 soon with a years no claims, the Fiesta ST was my first car) and that I wouldn't get a decent example below £20k (didn't do my research), and also rules out a Golf GTI MK5 because they are really dull looking cars and have heard its dull to drive too. But after doing my research I found the Focus ST is actually cheaper to buy second hand than a Corsa VXR second hand and with less miles too! My budget is around the £15k mark, and some of the cars I've seen for that money blew me away!

So been swayed to the Focus. So a few questions just to get my head round it before I start test driving and wasting peoples time if I don't think the Focus is a good idea.

Any common faults that are serious? I have a Fiesta and shes been a diamond so thats why I'm going for a Ford again, stick with what you know.

Also, the CD player. The frame around the CD player is fitted to it (curved), so its an awkward shape if you want an aftermarket one. Do Ford do any shaped versions if you want an aftermarket system?
I was thinking of a Alpine 6 inch touch screen sat nav system with all the works like bluetooth built in, because I've heard the Ford Sat Nav unit isn't much cop compared to an aftermarket one.
Or can you get a carbon fibre effect frame from styling companies elsewhere that fits certain head units?

And lastly, when I test drive one, is there anything I need to look out for wear and tear wise, like sounds and the feel of certain bits? Never owned a Focus ST so I don't know what they sound like brand new and what they sound like if a bit is broken or whatever.

Will be buying it in 6 months or so, so any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good look with the search fella.

Couple of comments:

Don't underestimate the running costs - they're not astronomical or anything but budget for tyres and petrol - if you're driving it any distance everyday you may get tired of petrol stations and you'll need a new set of fronts after 12k or so if your a "normal" driver - sooner if you're eager.

Oh and mods - now you're registered on her - you WILL modify - remap, eibachs, exhaust etc etc.

I don't know your circumstances - you may be minted so these may not be an issue.

Radio wise - easier in a prefacelift, there are fitting kits out there and I'm sure another member will be on to tell you exactly what you need. I haven't been able to find a replacement fascia that looks good enough so mine is still standard.

All the best!

·
Registered
74 Posts
My one and only bit of advice I give to people is FUEL! If you do not mind smashing through the fuel then you will have no regrets whatsoever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah fuel is not an issue, I'm not loaded but I don't care about fuel costs. I will drive the car chilled most of the time, but when I go crazy I'm happy to pay the fuel bills for the fun I'll be having.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Even chilled driving will only see 24-25 mpg in town and normal roads at best. There are a few common niggles but genrally there pretty reliable cars. Older models have seen the alternator go after 3 or so years and theres reports of some people having the oil filter diaphragm go as well but both are done under warrenty (if your's still has it). Oh and tyres, i got my car brand new in march and after 11k miles i've just had to replace the fronts at £280. Fuel is the biggest burden tho so work out how many miles you do and see whats its going to cost you at an verage of 22-21 mpg as thats realisticly what you're going to get.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i came from a fiesta ST and i love my focus.
running costs are the problem , it loves petrol no if buts or maybes its a thirsty car.
being torque'y it likes front tyres aswell and budgets wont cut it so you will need good rubber so bear in mind.
these will only go up when you mod it , which you will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You reckon I will mod it?
Hehe how can you be so sure!
Tbh I prob will depending if I wanna trade up again and get an S3 or something there abouts if I can afford it.
We'll see what the future holds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts