Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered before, but can anyone PM me details on how to remove the standard lockers without a key.
Tried to remove today for a clean, turned out to be a disaster.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Might I sugges it be sent via PM rather than on open forum viewed by all types....(not that if they really wnat your wheels 'locking wheels nuts' will not stop them assuming they know what they are doing)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will pop to ford tomorrow, see what they say. Got new McGard locking nuts coming with my TD pro race 1.2s I ordered yesterday.
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i went to dealers to get mine off, luckily i broke my key when putting the wheels back on after abs pump change, god knows what id have done if it was when taking them off

·
Registered
732 Posts
Some dealers do have a master set. Chances are they've been done up too tight previously or an air gun has been used on the key which damaged it. Ibroke a key once, bought a new key from Ford, and broke that! Had to go into a garage to get them removed, usual removal tools would not fit as there is no gap between the nut and the wheel to get a set of removal sockets on.

Took the garage 2 days to do without causing any other damage, luckily I didn't have to pay as they held their hands up to having their tyre fitter do the nuts up with a windy gun!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will let you all know how I get on tomorrow.
Let hope Marshalls Ford have a master key!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There only is 4 (or is it 5?) different keys for all ford locking nuts, so worst case scenario you buy a set of each and one of them will work! Most dealers should have one of each key available so they can remove them easily!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
i thought it was about 12 keys but they not the best, the after market Mcguard ones also look better as fully chromed, there again you coudl just ditch the lockers and get 4 new nuts for about £10, as above he lockers don't stop wheels getting knicked if the theif realy wants them

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried a couple of things today, ford had the car for 2 hours and got nowhere. They didn't have the correct key and their removal tool broke on the first nut.
Bit of DIY at home later and still nothing. Will be getting more drastic tomorrow.
Very annoying as my pro race 1.2s came today, just wanna get them on!
Only ordered them from JW Racing on Wednesday as well, big thanks to Lee for sorting the deal and getting them to me so quickly.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
What you need is a freindly car thief, they will have them off in seconds

Is there anyone local with a ford who will lend you their wheel nut key, you may be lucky and it be the correct one?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would just be my luck if a helpful persons key broke off on my lockers!
They are stupidly tight, definitely way above recommended torque.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i chewed up one of my locking nuts, think it was a mcgard one? (cloud shaped key)

ended up having to get a garage to machine it out... most places said they couldnt touch it but eventually found somewhere that got it off.. cost about 50 quid

so ive decided to bin the lockers and use standard nuts... gone r the days when theives will really pinch ya wheels anyway theyd rather just take the whole car

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You feel my pain then Chris.
. I will get it sorted eventually, don't really want it to cost an arm and a leg tho.
The standard lockers are very poor, the new McGard ones I got today are much more substantial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts