Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was with BT and had no problems connecting wireless to the hub. I am now with Sky and 4 times now i have not been able to connect to the internet. This time i cant get it to connect at all, although it is fine like now when it is conected direct with the eathanet cable.

I dont want to phone Sky technical and be on there for hours listen to them tell me what i have already tried.

First for some reason when i type in the router key number it says, not correct number although it is and have used it to connect before.
Second im not sure weather the router maybe strong enough to get a descent signal to the pc Its a Netgear with a range of 100 meter, so it should be strong enough. It is 16 feet away and through 2 plasterboard walls? Strange thing is when i do a search for wireless signals it pics up the router and can be an excellent signal strength?

Could it maybe be the network adapter? it is a Belkin 802.11g- 54mbps but this is compatible with this router.

Whats the difference between the 802.11g adapter and the 802.11b?

Also could this have anything to do with the broadband speed?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
If you are connecting via ethernet cable and you have internet access, then its an encryption issue. Try changing the wireless key to a WEP type, I suspect you will currently have WPA2 security on your router. The older belkin adapter may not support WPA2 keys. b&g types are simply versions of wi-fi.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(davechci @ 14 Jan 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are connecting via ethernet cable and you have internet access, then its an encryption issue. Try changing the wireless key to a WEP type, I suspect you will currently have WPA2 security on your router. The older belkin adapter may not support WPA2 keys. b&g types are simply versions of wi-fi.

I'll try that Dave, on the pge you enter the key im sure you can change wpa2 and wep things.lol
QUOTE(Dabhand16 @ 14 Jan 2010, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the number you have to type in case sensitive?

Have you selected an encryption that your network card cannot support? (as suggested by Dave).

No numbers just letters, tried caps on and off. Dont know anything about encryption but i'll try what dave said.
ptions

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
You change from WPA2 to WEP on the router through the admin page. Do you know how to get to this?? If not I can help.

When you say "just letters", your key will be hexadecimal (letters A-F and numbers 0-9) if you have a word or phrase this is incorrect. Some routers let you type a word and it converts it to hexadecimal.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i go into the wireless network properties, Brings up a small tab with security. I am on WPA-Personal. There is no WEP? However there is;

No authentication (open)
shared
WPA2-personal
WPA2-Enterprise
WPA-Enterprise
802.1x

I can change the encryption type to TKPI or AES, currently on TKPI.

Key is just letters No numbers.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
WEP is a security step down from any WPA so i would try shared. It will prompt for a key thast is about half as long as the current one (hence why its deemed less secure!)

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(ST tyrone @ 14 Jan 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok security type shared, Encryption type WEP. Asking for key, below it has key index from 1-4 to choose from, Does this mean the first 1-4 letters?

Just choose 1 and type in the key mine is 10 digits long eg A12B3C4D5E

You can have upto 4 preshared keys (this is where you have the 4 options) you only need one.

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(ST tyrone @ 14 Jan 2010, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was with BT and had no problems connecting wireless to the hub. I am now with Sky and 4 times now i have not been able to connect to the internet. This time i cant get it to connect at all, although it is fine like now when it is conected direct with the eathanet cable.

I dont want to phone Sky technical and be on there for hours listen to them tell me what i have already tried.

First for some reason when i type in the router key number it says, not correct number although it is and have used it to connect before.
Second im not sure weather the router maybe strong enough to get a descent signal to the pc Its a Netgear with a range of 100 meter, so it should be strong enough. It is 16 feet away and through 2 plasterboard walls? Strange thing is when i do a search for wireless signals it pics up the router and can be an excellent signal strength?

Could it maybe be the network adapter? it is a Belkin 802.11g- 54mbps but this is compatible with this router.

Whats the difference between the 802.11g adapter and the 802.11b?

Also could this have anything to do with the broadband speed?

Hi,

Unfortunately these symptoms can be caused by a number of different problems, although I wouldn't have thought that you have a problem with the WPA encryption if it connects at times and not at others. It simply wouldn't work at all if WPA wasn't supported. There are also known issues on older cards reconnecting to remembered connections when the broadcast of the SSID is turned off on the router.

I would recommend trying the following in the order listed:

1. Update the wireless card drivers to the latest supported version from Belkin.
2. Enable the broadcast of your routers SSID if it is currently disabled.
3. Change the channel the wirelss router is using until you find one which is stable.
4. Finally, you may have to resort to purchasing a Netgear wireless card which is more compatible with the wirless implementation on the Netgear router.

Hope some of this helps.

**EDIT**
ps - I'm not dissing wot others are saying or suggesting you shouldn't try what the others are suggesting. I'm Just offering some alternative advice, you should clearly give the help that Davechci is offering a shot first, but if this doesn't resolve your issues try give the above a try

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(davechci @ 14 Jan 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just choose 1 and type in the key mine is 10 digits long eg A12B3C4D5E

You can have upto 4 preshared keys (this is where you have the 4 options) you only need one.

Mine is 8 digits, tried it and it has now said the setting for the computer do not match the requirements of the network.
thought i had it there.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Ok sounds like the wireless usb adapter is using its own software. Try using windows wireless zero configuration software to control the connections not the belkin software..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(seanyb @ 14 Jan 2010, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,Unfortunately these symptoms can be caused by a number of different problems, although I wouldn't have thought that you have a problem with the WPA encryption if it connects at times and not at others. It simply wouldn't work at all if WPA wasn't supported. There are also known issues on older cards reconnecting to remembered connections when the broadcast of the SSID is turned off on the router.I would recommend trying the following in the order listed:1. Update the wireless card drivers to the latest supported version from Belkin.2. Enable the broadcast of your routers SSID if it is currently disabled.3. Change the channel the wirelss router is using until you find one which is stable.4. Finally, you may have to resort to purchasing a Netgear wireless card which is more compatible with the wirless implementation on the Netgear router.Hope some of this helps.**EDIT**ps - I'm not dissing wot others are saying or suggesting you shouldn't try what the others are suggesting. I'm Just offering some alternative advice, you should clearly give the help that Davechci is offering a shot first, but if this doesn't resolve your issues try give the above a try
I have now put the security setting back to normal and have full signal strength, But still no connection.Been on Belkin site and no updated drivers. How do you do 2 and 3?QUOTE(killer10971 @ 14 Jan 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>im with sky and mine started doing this just before the router packed up have you the netgear or the older small black one (sagem)Netgear

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you go into the wireless settings on the router there should be a check box to enable broadcast of SSID - ensure this is checked.
In the same area under wireless settings there should be a section which sets the channel, change this to the next channel, save and reboot, then try and reconnect etc. repeat this and see if you get a stable connection

image added:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue

Attachments

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(seanyb @ 14 Jan 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you go into the wireless settings on the router there should be a check box to enable broadcast of SSID - ensure this is checked.
In the same area under wireless settings there should be a section which sets the channel, change this to the next channel, save and reboot, then try and reconnect etc. repeat this and see if you get a stable connection

Not sure how i get into wireless settings, Im sure i did read somwhere that you could change the channel.

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(ST tyrone @ 14 Jan 2010, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure how i get into wireless settings, Im sure i did read somwhere that you could change the channel.

Sorry, thought you had already been in the router config.
Login to the router by going to ip address in a web browser (it may be 192.168.0.1 if you haven't changed it).
username: admin
password: sky

Then click on the wireless settings page and the settings should be in there.

If you can't connect using the address http://192.168.0.1 try get your routers ip address by doing the following:
Click on START, RUN
type CMD and press enter
in the black window which opens type ipconfig
the address you want is the one for Default Gateway - this is your routers ip address.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im not sure weather i have now connected wireless is just chance again or i have done something right. I was just reading down the side of the wireless settings page and it says;For best results In an elevated location such as a high shelf. Hmm, now i have had this sitting on the floor and also had the BT Hub on the floor. I have just lifted the router up about 4 feet on a shelf and it connected instantly with the key? Has this been the problem?

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(ST tyrone @ 15 Jan 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im not sure weather i have now connected wireless is just chance again or i have done something right. I was just reading down the side of the wireless settings page and it says;For best results In an elevated location such as a high shelf. Hmm, now i have had this sitting on the floor and also had the BT Hub on the floor. I have just lifted the router up about 4 feet on a shelf and it connected instantly with the key? Has this been the problem?

Hi Mate,

It could have been as wireless is temperamental at best when going through one wall - never mind two. Although you did say that even when it was working it was at full strength so its difficult to say.

I have known the position of a wireless router / repeater making all the difference as a couple of inches one way can be in line with a support in a stud wall etc.

Anyway, hope its sorted - if not let me know.

Sean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.