Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just driving home from work when a horrible metallic grinding noise started, im hoping its just the pads that have had it.

But if this is the case they have only lasted 8000 miles (they were new on when i got the car), surely this can't be right?

i dont drive overly fast most of the time and have never been on a track day etc.

If it is not the pads i may be in for a world of pain, anyone help?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Depends on how hard you drive.

I changed mine at the weekend for fast road pads, the old ones were half worn and the car has done 16k.

You may find its a stone in the backplate, cheap pads, hard bit in the pad, the list goes on, best to get either a garage or

someone who knows what there talking about to have a look ASAP as brakes are a safety critical system.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
I nearly got 50k out of my fronts but had to change at 49k so I could stop

Now the rears have done 50k and they are starting to grind, I was hoping to get 51k to make up for the fronts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a wear indicator on the standard pads? Ive done 30K and the brakes have just started sqealing

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Wow i have done 15k and they have started squealing. When I had my mot in Nov i was told loads of meat left.

Les

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
QUOTE(Les @ 9 Feb 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow i have done 15k and they have started squealing. When I had my mot in Nov i was told loads of meat left.

Les

It's possibly Dirt/Grit like Allan said and should last longer than 15k for normal road use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
turns out it was the heat shield catching the disc, after a 're-adjustment' with a hammer and screwdriver the problem appears to be sorted!

so all in all, it didnt turn out to be anything serious and more importantly it didnt cost me anything!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts