Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry about this, the car is at the garage and they think its the BOV, they took it off the turbo and the spring is the wrong one for sure.

i did read about the turbo being a k04! Recirc valve < in this thread it has "BorgWarner Astra Zafira VXR K04 Turbo Turbocharger Recirculating BOV Dump Valve " to replace the original BOV, is this right?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Patience please!

I bought a Turbosmart recirc from Andy (A&K) in 2015. It's been fine since. Stopped the whistling that the OEM valve is notorious for.

Yes, a faulty recirc would cause havoc with your boost, especially if the spring is broken.

They are a devil to fit due to their location. Much easier (quicker = cheaper) if you take out the drive shaft and carrier with the car on a ramp.

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patience please!

I bought a Turbosmart recirc from Andy (A&K) in 2015. It's been fine since. Stopped the whistling that the OEM valve is notorious for.

Yes, a faulty recirc would cause havoc with your boost, especially if the spring is broken.

They are a devil to fit due to their location. Much easier (quicker = cheaper) if you take out the drive shaft and carrier with the car on a ramp.
Its not me its the mechanic that needs the information. He wanted me to just use a cheap one off ebay which i said no so i've had to look for one.

I know its a pig as we watched him struggle to get it out even after i told him how to do it.

If i go the turbo smart does it need oiling every so often?

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,254 Posts
If it's a recirc you're after and you're chasing a problem, would it not be better to put a standard one back on (less likely that an aftermarket recirc causes you other issues)? Might get a bit of whistling but there's nothing really wrong with the standard recircs on these cars....

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's a recirc you're after and you're chasing a problem, would it not be better to put a standard one back on (less likely that an aftermarket recirc causes you other issues)? Might get a bit of whistling but there's nothing really wrong with the standard recircs on these cars....
That is what i was thinking, the spring in this one that was taken off was really thin and had been hot by the heat, not much force on it, this is why i wanted to know about the kit above but even the seller stopped replying once i asked about if it worked on the mk2 st.

Thank you nigel

·
Registered
Alan St500
2,370 Posts
Its not me its the mechanic that needs the information. He wanted me to just use a cheap one off ebay which i said no so i've had to look for one.

I know its a pig as we watched him struggle to get it out even after i told him how to do it.

If i go the turbo smart does it need oiling every so often?
no it’s fit and forget 🫡

·
Registered
CP320
1,642 Posts
That is what i was thinking, the spring in this one that was taken off was really thin and had been hot by the heat, not much force on it, this is why i wanted to know about the kit above but even the seller stopped replying once i asked about if it worked on the mk2 st.

Thank you nigel
What makes your mechanic so sure the recirc spring is bad/incorrect? The standard recirc spring is pretty thin gauge and of a correspondingly low spring rate. The concept that someone would go to the trouble of removing the stock recirc just to fit another spring doesn’t really make sense to me.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
What makes your mechanic so sure the recirc spring is bad/incorrect? The standard recirc spring is pretty thin gauge and of a correspondingly low spring rate. The concept that someone would go to the trouble of removing the stock recirc just to fit another spring doesn’t really make sense to me.
TBF He doesn't say if the BOV on the car is the original OEM part or if it is not.

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The spring is completely different than what Bigayal showed in another thread, this seemed like something off a toy rc car, rusty 1/4 the way on the spring, heat marks all over it and it was not seating right as it was smaller than it should have been.

The BOV was not dumping the air from what he said and due to it being the wrong spring could be why its not boosting.
This is the thread that showed the right spring, which i did have but as always when you need something you can never find it, Stumped! (Updated 17/06/22) The spring that came off was thinner.

·
Registered
CP320
1,642 Posts
The spring is completely different than what Bigayal showed in another thread, this seemed like something off a toy rc car, rusty 1/4 the way on the spring, heat marks all over it and it was not seating right as it was smaller than it should have been.

The BOV was not dumping the air from what he said and due to it being the wrong spring could be why its not boosting.
This is the thread that showed the right spring, which i did have but as always when you need something you can never find it, Stumped! (Updated 17/06/22) The spring that came off was thinner.
It sounds like at least one of the previous owners of your car was a dumb a**hole :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going to fit one as one was going cheap on ebay but it was secondhand, i know DS has one but it says test on the description which put me off it. I got the one from andy a&k who was very helpful as always.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Probably a bit late in replying but are we talking the recirc valve or a blow off valve (BOV) as in dump valve? As the car will have the OEM recirc valve but any BOV (dump) valve will be aftermarket as ST's never had a dump valve as standard? Reason being the thread seems to alternate on calling this 'item' a recirc or BOV or both? One recirculates the boost & one dumps it to atmosphere. To confuse further you can get some items that do a bit of both but again they will be aftermarket? Reason being that these cars either run well with a dump valve - like my old 500 did - or will just not run at all no matter what springs you put in them!! Hence if in doubt the advice would be to put it back to standard - with Ford bits - and see where it goes from there?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,586 Posts
I tend to refer to both as a dump valve, one recircularing and one atmospheric. I believe @whitetop is talking about the former.

Reactions: whitetop
1 - 20 of 22 Posts