Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my st a while ago as a little project car as it come up for the right price. Done a few little bits to it putting it back right where previous owners had cut corners. Basically long story short I got it on road and on the first day I heard this slight tapping noise. Started it up the next day and it’s sounds 10x worse. Would you say this is going to be a full rebuild or I’d be able to get away with just doing the bottom end. I’ve done abit of research on the cars but I’m not fully clued up on these engines yet. Any help is appreciated guys. Gutted as I’ve always wanted a mk2, is it worth doing or do I just cut my losses and get rid of it

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think it would be best to keep the camera still as its a lot easier to not hear the moving etc.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have to ask but have you pulled the dipstick or oil filler cap and does it change the tone?

It does sound like bottom end but i had a sound just like that till i changed my oil filter housing

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would for sure book it at ford to have a look, it don't sound bottom end but more like its starving of oil at top.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Are you, or anyone else here any good at maths? you could play the youtube clip at 1/4 speed while counting the taps over a 10 second period. Then calculate how many taps there should be at the RPM the engine is running at. As the camshafts run at half the speed to the crank you will know if it's top end or bottom end.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Are you, or anyone else here any good at maths? you could play the youtube clip at 1/4 speed while counting the taps over a 10 second period. Then calculate how many taps there should be at the RPM the engine is running at. As the camshafts run at half the speed to the crank you will know if it's top end or bottom end.
Or better yet, you can hear it being top end as the tapping is from there, bottom end is more of a knock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would put my money on top end, them cams have run without oil getting up to them at some stage...
Do you think I’d be able to change the top of the engine and leave the bottom as is or do you think I’ll need to change the whole engine? Is there a easy way to get this back on road at all? It’s just sitting on my drive atm, annoys me everytime I walk past it 😂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts