Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to take my car for a spin and my key wouldnt unlock it with the buttons.. Didnt think anything of it so i grabbed the spare set thinking the battery must have died, but that key didnt work either!

How is that possible? Surely both batteries wouldnt die at the same time lol?

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
So i went to take my car for a spin and my key wouldnt unlock it with the buttons.. Didnt think anything of it so i grabbed the spare set thinking the battery must have died, but that key didnt work either!

How is that possible? Surely both batteries wouldnt die at the same time lol?
If you open it with the keys, can you turn the ignition on? It could be the car battery that's died for some reason.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it starts fine. When i opened it with the key the alarm started to go off but i think thats somthing to do with the sensor?
If the keys running out of battery wont a message on the dash tell me its running low?

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Yeah it starts fine. When i opened it with the key the alarm started to go off but i think thats somthing to do with the sensor?
If the keys running out of battery wont a message on the dash tell me its running low?
The alarm will always go off if you open the car with the key after locking it with the fob. That's what's happened with my last cars anyway. Think the warning only happens with the facelifts as they were keyless start.

Not sure what it would be, if it was the transponder on the car wouldn't that prevent it from starting? Or are they two seperate things, one for the locks and another for the ignition?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea what that is sorry. Hmm thinking about it i did go through a massive puddle earlier on in the day, may have damaged some electrics? But i did managed to lock it after

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
I have no idea what that is sorry. Hmm thinking about it i did go through a massive puddle earlier on in the day, may have damaged some electrics? But i did managed to lock it after
The transponder is the little chip in your key that lets the car know it's the right key for the car. You can have the correctly cut key in the car, but without that little chip in it, it's not going to start. There's also a similar one that sends out a signal when you press unlock on the fob. I'm not sure if the car has two separate ones for each function, but I'd imagine so as the car started.

You may have managed to lock it before the water got to the central locking bit of the electronics. Hopefully the cold doesn't freeze over night and crack apart where the water has gotten into and it might dry by tomorrow morning.

However, going off my track record tonight, all of the above may be complete and utter horseturd

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah ill wait untill the morning and then try it again, hopefully it will dry its self out. Thanks for your help mate

Haha you seem to know alot more then me, so your gues will be better then mine

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Yeah ill wait untill the morning and then try it again, hopefully it will dry its self out. Thanks for your help mate

Haha you seem to know alot more then me, so your gues will be better then mine
I might type as if I know something, most of it's just regurgitating information i've read before
That and having nothing better to do with my time other than read up on my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts