Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Morning ST owners :)

I'm wondering if my car is running properly at the moment...

Last week after a 15 miles drive I stopped for 10 mins. Restarted the car and as soon as I started moving got the amber message "engine malfunction service now". The car barely had any power so stopped on the side of the road.

I restarted the car shortly after, and no message came back. I used ELM cable and Forscan, also a standalone code reader but could not find anything other than a message saying that I had a wrong SD card in the port at some point ;-)

Since then, I noticed that pulling out if first gear does not feel as smooth as it used to be. The car is booked in at Ford Thursday next week as they could not check it earlier. It seems that according to the gauge, I barely get any boost in 1st or 2nd gear. I am wondering if I should see the gauge move much in 1st or 2nd gear, and to be fair, prior to having the error message popping, I don't think the boost gauge was really something I was looking at under hard acceleration.

Just wondering if there are easy things to check that could explain this, or if it's just me being paranoid!

Any advise and opinions are welcome! Cheers

Edit: Car has MP275, charge pipe kit, cat back exhaust and uprated recirc. valve

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mine boosts in 1st and 2nd, 2nd more so.

How's boost in higher gears?? 3rd, 4th??

Boost pipe come loose or something?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Daniel-ST I have no boost at all in 1st, probably explaining why the car does not pull smoothly. Boost in 2nd is very low, seems to get better in 3rd and 4th.

Not too sure about the pipes, is that easy to check without lifting the car up and taking the under-tray off?

·
Registered
453 Posts
@Sylv1buk Umm... your not going to get to the intercooler piping unless you jack the car up and take off the undertray.

Lift the bonnet and take off the engine cover. Have a look at the piping that runs straight up to the throttle body. Its right at the front inbetween the radiator.

Have a look around there or give it a tug see if its loose.

Failing that just wait till it goes into ford not much else you can check tbh.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Daniel-ST OK cheers mate, it looks like I don't have many options other than checking what I can and then wait for Ford if it's not one of the pipes I can reach without lifting the car up and taking it apart. I don't have axle stands or a drive to look at that so not many chances to do that at the week end :-(

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I looked at what I could see and pipes seem connected. Noticed that when accelerating and I would expect the turbo to kick in the car makes a kind of wooshy noise that I thing would be on the front passenger side of engine bay. hopefully thats just a boost leak. where would the turbo be on that car? hoping that it is not the source of my problems :-(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Shouldn't have any issues with the turbo. It's tooked down the back of the engine bay. Sounds like a pipe has come off the Intercooler to me.

Just have to wait till your car goes into the garage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am going to try to reset the KAM stuff tonight anyway, it does sound a bit wooshy but not crazy.

Update: booked in for Mountune on Monday afternoon so that they can check charge pipe, recirc valve and other bits fitted there. Then at least that rules stuff out if they can't fix it, and I'll already know that stuff is good before going to Ford on Thursday next week.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Bookwyse Thanks for the offer! I m in Hertfordshire so not the end of the world but still a way to go. Mountune is a bit closer I think ;-)

Just wondering if I m getting paranoid. Did the KAM reset earlier, didn't notice too much difference. Just wondering if the slight woosh I can hear is just induction noise. I always have the stereo on and a low volume masks the noise. Took the car for a spin and it pulls pretty hard. Maybe I am scared and feeling the car is not normal after I had the warning popping on the display last week.

I can't see the boost gauge moving in 1st gear, it moves in 2nd gear and in 3rd easily goes half way but then I can only look at it for so long as I have to watch where I m going!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yea maybe partly induction noise. I did try mine out today with a hardish launch to 70mph.

Mine boosts past half way on the gauge in every gear including 1st, haven't tried reverse lmao.

Are you sticking your foot to the floor in each gear??

Maybe your not driving the car hard enough?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I had the impression I was hitting it hard but most of my accelerations were from 2nd gear. I need an open road where I can try from stop to 70mph. I usually get these in the morning when the car is cold and I drive it pretty gently!

I doubt my reversing skills are good enough to hit boost ;-) I shall try to go for a spin with a mate so that he can check the boost gauge while I do the driving!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the car checked by Mountune. Charge pipe all good but recirc valve wasnt doing great apparently so it got replaced.
Also took the opportunity to get roll restrictor fitted. The car feels great now. A bit more vibrations at idle but it pulls so much better in 1st and 2nd gear!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts