Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car accelerates well but boost gauge needle hardly moves. Is this a common fault ?? Where do i start looking ?? What should the boost gauge be showing when accelerating hard ?? TIA for any advice

·
Super Moderator
13,316 Posts
It should be going up to about half I think on full boost.

Remember that those three gauges don't show readings from actual sensors, they show values worked out by the ECU based on a number of factors - so they show what the ECU wants you to see. I don't think I can remember anyone having that fault by itself, hopefully someone else will have some more info :)

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,586 Posts
My mk2 drove fine but the boost guage didn't move as far as I could tell.

On one trip in the last 8 years or so. Fixed itself next time I got in the car and haven't seen it since...

I'm guessing yours is a bit more constantly not moving? If the cars driving fine I would be surprised if a normal diagnostic would pick it up

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,409 Posts
Try giving the MAP sensor a clean, some of the ecu values are calculated from it, common triple gauge problem on the mk2, so might be worth a try on the mk3.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try giving the MAP sensor a clean, some of the ecu values are calculated from it, common triple gauge problem on the mk2, so might be worth a try on the mk3.
Excuse my ignorance would it be easier to buy a new one ?? Where is it located on the ecoboost ?? Is it a case of spraying some cleaner on it ??

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Its located on the front left side of the inlet manifold as you look at it, it has a single screw and a multi plug on it, plenty of images if you google it.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Yeah, just make sure its dry when you put it back in.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would it be simpler to buy a new one ?? Is the map sensor front of engine to the left approx 7/8 o clock

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there another sensor front of engine down to the left ? What make sensor do Ford fit ?

What is the best one to fit ??

Is it a straightforward swap over ??

·
Super Moderator
13,316 Posts
The MAP sensor is about £50, so you might want to try the whole cleaning it up thing first as it may be an unneccessary expense.

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,669 Posts
If it is anything like the one for the Mk2 then yes. It is quite delicate so don't be tempted to get in there with a cloth or brush or anything. Just spray it & let the liquid clean it. Then let it air dry completely.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought a new one from Ford only £26. I fitted it but didnt have time for a test drive.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried the car this morning the boost gauge seems to be working. I put my foot down and the needle went to 1 bar. What should it rise to ??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts