Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hey everyone, just some quick opinions here.

Want your opinion. Few days ago the area manager at my workplace did a branch visit, hes got a new BMW 118d coupe. He just gave me the keys and said go for a spin, which I did. It was a basic model.

But I was very impressed with it, mainly the build quality and the image

Should I chop the ST in for one of these around next summer? Maybe a 120 or 123d or i? Anyone got these as a daily driver?

OR

Even maybe a 320 coupe:

I feel I've had my fun with quick cars and I need to visit my local Shell station a bit less really haha

But I look out of the window at the ST and think will the BMW be any better! Have also had comments like, keep the ST, your young, get a Beemer when your 30 something!

·
Registered
11,562 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Cheers Marc, I knew someone on here brought a 1 series, but the search doesnt like 'BMW' haha

Merry Xmas Marc

Marc how you finding the performance of the 123d compared to your old ST? You ever driven a 120d?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a 1-series before the ST and wouldnt have another one given, the ST is worse on petrol but in terms of build quality there really isnt much in it anymore.
The one sereis really does come across as a budget bmw and is nothing like the more expensive models, iv got a Z4 coupe now and it is so much nicer put together than the 1-series.
If you really want to change and need back seats etc then you should try to get a 3-series but really you need an m-sport spec to get the nice seats and trim, engine wise the new 3.0 straigh six petrol is a work of genuis which is the one i have in mine, seems to get around 31mpg all day long and on a motorway run returned 37mpg, not hanging about either.

Beemers are lovely cars but you do need to spend a bit to get a real one, if you buy a pretend one you will soon get sick of it an want the ST back.

My pick of the bunch would be a 3-series coupe 3.0 petrol post '07 manual with M-sport spec.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
HI Trist, dont do it mate, i've had a one series and a three series. The one series is built to a budget and after a while the rattles in mine were far worse than my
! the 2.0d suffers from inlet manifold failure and when this happens the engine ingests plastic! turbo gets destroyed! and cat destroyed! its a major repair job. this is very common, but bmw dont recognise it as such! i makes fords alternator & power steering failures look very minor! the 3 series is a very different animal, but unless you spend BIG money on one, they are very sparsely equipped. I found my 330d very very boring! & heavy to drive. the ride quality on the m sports is appauling & they can suffer from turbo problems also! here's another point for you mate. How many eo st's do you encounter on your daily commute? BMW'S are like s**t in a field, they are everywhere! their image is fading, imho, they are getting very common. These are just the rantings of a 4 time bmw owner. the 2
's i hav owned have entertained me far more as a driving experience. best of luck mate whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Our other cars a white 120d coupe and although its a nice car I dont get up in the morning and say I cant wait to drive that today. The 123d maybe different as its obviously quicker than the 120d but at the end of the day its still a diesel and doesnt make the noise that the ST makes which make me smile everyday, but if you want to make less trips to the petrol station then thats the way to go. I certainly wont be changing my ST for another diesel though.
Plus the 120d is
in snow as we found out the other day when I had to push it off a car park and the ST got off with ease.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for your useful replys guys. Interesting about the quality of the baby BMW.

Stumper, have you had a change to remap your 120d? Supposed to really move some then
(They say! haha)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Keep the ST for a few more years and wait untill the MK2RS is'nt so expensive and buy that ?? It will be a GREAT car when prices keep falling (as they are).....in 2 years you could have an RS outside your door for a fraction of the price matey

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 26 Dec 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers for your useful replys guys. Interesting about the quality of the baby BMW.

Stumper, have you had a change to remap your 120d? Supposed to really move some then
(They say! haha)

No it will be staying standard mate. Had a look into it and you get around 30bhp and 60NM. Although im sure it will be quick it will still sound
!
and I would prefer to spend the money on the ST.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Just to provide a counterpoint view; my May '09 123d has covered 15,000 miles and makes the ST feel like it was built by Lada - mine's still tight as a drum and feels like new. I have more fun day-to-day in the BM than I did in the ST (power-understeer vs. power-oversteer..? I'll take the latter, thanks.
) I personally also find the BM more comfortable; you sit lower, more cocooned unlike the ST where you feel 'perched on top of it' - I never realised how much so until I got in the BM. My 1-series has seriously surprised a number of folks on here, specifically the way it goes around corners. It'll do 60 in 6.5-6.7 seconds (depending on which review you read; EVO have it at 6.5sec..) and at the moment I'm averaging over 50mpg. Even on a strop, it won't do less than 35mpg.

The only - and I mean the ONLY - thing the ST does better is the noise. And that's not reason enough to have it in my view. If offered the keys to a 123d and an ST, I'll take the keys to the BM every time. Sorry folks, I've had my blinkers removed..
It's a cracking car and no mistake. Needs big wheels and M-Sport kit to avoid looking REALLY fugly though.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(bluestdublin @ 26 Dec 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i drove a 1 series and hated it my mate only had his for 3 months and traded it for a 3 series

i HATE the 1 series lol
You can't get the 204PS twin-turbodiesel in the 3-series. Your only option is the 325d (rubbish) or 330d/335d (expensive!). Actually having said that, Alpina do put the x23d engine in the 3-series to good effect. EVO run one on their Fast Fleet.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(bluestdublin @ 26 Dec 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i drove a 1 series and hated it my mate only had his for 3 months and traded it for a 3 series

i HATE the 1 series lol

You got any reasons why you hated it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
dont think that it was a nice car at all

it was very small in side , over priced , not excellent build quality like the 3 series , not great looking , dont hold their value as well as the 3 series(i no the ST doesnt either) , didnt like the sound , not nice to drive , doesnt handle aswell as an ST

My mate that had one for 3 months said he really hated driving it but loved his 320d , 330d and has ordered a 335d for 2010

go for the 3 series its a much better car i am also considering one

i shouldnt have used hate but i amnt to far off that lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(bluestdublin @ 26 Dec 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>dont think that it was a nice car at all

it was very small in side , over priced , not excellent build quality like the 3 series , not great looking , dont hold their value as well as the 3 series(i no the ST doesnt either) , didnt like the sound , not nice to drive , doesnt handle aswell as an ST

My mate that had one for 3 months said he really hated driving it but loved his 320d , 330d and has ordered a 335d for 2010

go for the 3 series its a much better car i am also considering one

i shouldnt have used hate but i amnt to far off that lol

THanks for that
Handy to know

I bet the 1 series you drove wasnt the M Sport package? The M Sport package is a must and makes it handle lovely
Just
rare under 2nd hand guise!

Is the 3 series really that better built?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
That's the beauty of cars though. There's something for everyone. A lot of people won't like the 1-series - I don't really care.
For me, it's an excellent car - fast, frugal, handles phenomenally (runs rings around the ST imo, and bear in mind I ran my ST hard for 65k miles so I do know what I'm talking about
) is better built than the ST and more fun to drive.

Downsides for the 1-series...? Well the looks can be 'challenging', the boot space is mediocre, rear passenger legroom is non-existent and if you have a diesel then you get the diesel noise. I know some people will hate me for saying this, but the 123d is a much, much better car than the ST. I've driven both extensively, and that's just my view.

Oh, and if you ever come across a 135i on the road in your ST, don't even bother, it'll slaughter you...!

I really did put my ST through its paces:

And I don't think the 1-series looks too bad from this angle...

·
Registered
202 Posts
my mates got a 135i m-sport in white with carbon detailing and red leather......
lovely car. goes like stink and you feel very much in a cabin. can get people in back aswell, boots not too bad.

·
Registered
379 Posts
im wondering whether i should get something diesel as petrols costing me a hel of a lot. but i cant think of many that will give me the same feeling the ST does!

Beemers are old mans cars, audis are reps cars, dont fancy having another fiesta! so im stuck!

thought about corsa VXR - surely a 1.6T is better than a 2.5T!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts