Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whils washing the front drivers wheel I noticed a small bulge in my tyre which I assume is from pot hole damage as there are no nails in the tyre!!! I pretty
off as I have only had the tyre for a coupld thousand miles, also camskill have no stock of the GY Eagkle F1 assym!!

Does anyone know how likely the tyre is to blow out?

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
I hit a massive one on the A259 going past Wick last week, it felt like the front passenger side wheel should have been ripped off the car. Thankfully no damage to wheel or tyre, where abouts did it happen so I can avoid that road

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Lewis, go take a picture of the pothole and measure it. Get the tyre depot to confirm likely cause of damage. You should be able to recover the cost from the council.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I knew where it was, I have hit quite a few on that side all over the place could be anywhere between portsmouth or crawley as been about a bit this last couple of weeks... Maybe i should just go and find a random one then send the pic to the council.

How quickly do camskill get stock in?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gav, tried them when I order all 4tyres and they were about £30 More expensive than internet. I need my car so I am going to go down there 1st thing Monday morning and might even see if they can do me laser alignment!!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(Simo @ 27 Feb 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I get mine fitted at a local tyre place for a tenner apiece
So the question that begs to be asked is whether Camskill's price (which was £30 less than DTS) included fitting of them (at around £10 per tyre..)?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The road where I live is so bad they are closing it for two days next week. Gonna be interesting getting to and from work as the road technically is closed to traffic but I live in between the closed signs. Never actually been part of an "Access Only" crew, knowing my luck they are going to totally tear the road out and I won't be able to go anywhere anyway

Touch wood, no damage to wheels or tyres yet from pot holes, I drive down the middle of the road as much as possible, I'd imagine people with me in a line of traffic think I'm a useless driver

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 27 Feb 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lewis, go take a picture of the pothole and measure it. Get the tyre depot to confirm likely cause of damage. You should be able to recover the cost from the council.
Am I right that the council has to be aware of the pothole that caused the damage before they can be held responsible? I thought that is the case so it's important that people report them and get a confirmation even if you didn't suffer damage at the time. Otherwise they'll wriggle out of responsibility for it?

I reported a couple of biggies on a dual carriageway I use for work a week or 2 ago, and they're doing a massive resurfacing job now. Just a pity it's on the opposite carriageway

·
Registered
150 Posts
northampton's bad at the moment although they are starting to fill them in. i have hit a couple so far but no damage yet. one after 3 days of owning the car going down a dark country road and like you say i thought the front of the car was going to fall off.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Going to Speedfreek's last night was like driving around downtown Basra. Nothing to do with potholes, that's just what Littlehampton is like.

Actually in all seriousness there were some whopping craters further up his road - the worst I've seen in all my travels (and I cover a lot of ground). At least the big
near my place got sorted out. How long the repair will last is anyone's guess, but at least I'm not playing slalom any more for the time being.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
a good few years ago ,and i do mean a good few ,i was driveing my RS 2000 in heavy rain and hit a pot hole which ripped the front suspension strutt nearly completely off the car whilst doing this the steering wheel was ripped from my hand and myself and the car mounted the kirb,went across someones lawn in in to there kitchen wall .
obviously this wrote the car off and done thousands of pounds worth of damage to the property .
to make a long story short id lost the car had no money to replace it and it took the council just under three years to admit that they was aware of the pot hole in that road but had done nothing about it at that stage .
i finally got paid out for the claim but in the mean time the council done everything they could to get out of makeing any payment and actually left it to the day of court to make an aceptable offer .

so just dont go thinking that even if you have a case with the tyres/damaged alloys etc etc that they will say ....oh yes very well sir how would you like your payment for damages ,cash ,cheque etc etc as in my experiance this is a long ,slow and deliberately complicated method in which to get compensation etc etc as im lead to believe its that way to deter you from makeing a claim against them .
things may of changed a bit now but this is just my own experiance with makeing a claim with any council.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My mate fits and balances my tyres when they arrive for a £10 a corner, so will only be saving £20. I dont mind paying the extra £20 for 1tyre but its when I brought all four that I saved £80.

I will just send a letter and copy of the recepit, plus photos to the council and see where I get, no harm in trying?

Also does any1 know if I will have grip/ESP issues fitting 1brand new tyre to the car, all tyres are the the same and have only done 2500miles.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
If you'd only done 2.5k on the one that's got a bulge it won't make any difference at all to the handling once the new one's scrubbed in. If you're that concerned, put the new one on the nearside front where it will wear slightly faster than the others.

I did this when I needed a new front tyre after a getting a puncture over the winter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.