Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok folks,

I called superchips this morning and upgraded from stage 1 to stage 2. I connected to their server and downloaded the stage 2 upgrade.

I installed the upgrade this afternoon and aprox half way through i got and ESP System fault. After the upgrade had finished i switched the ignition off as per the bluefin instructions, unplugged it and started the car. Everthing looked ok and the ESP fault did not re appear.

I then plugged the bluefin unit back in and tried to read the fault codes, i recieved some kind off error and the bluefin handset restarted itself, this time the fault code reader worked but came back as nothing recorded.

It was about 2 hours later before i could test the car and its obvious there is a difference as the boost gauge needle goes for a kiss at 1.2bar. I cant really feel any a difference but the increases are small so i fully expected that.

When i decided to open her right up i overtook an HGV, just as i was passing the ESP System fault flashed up. Whilst driving i switched the ign off and back on which seemed to clear it. I stopped in a layby to read the fault codes but nothing is recorded.

Its happened again tonight when i gave it some in 2nd gear.

Whats going on.

Is there a problem with the bluefin map. Its obvious to me that its done something as Its first appearance was during the install off the upgrade.

Should i just call bluefin again tomorrow and go back to stage 1.?

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
definatley contact superchips again mate.they've probably come across the problem before. also try pulling the kam fuse fo 30mins, its no26 under the bonnet, this should clear any fault memory.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I think it's usual to see some errors come up on the dash while you're downloading a remap to the car - I know mine throws up an Engine Systems Fault while it's doing it but it all clears once the process has finished. It may come up with ESP System Fault too but I ignore it all anyway bcause its probably just down to the process of downloading new parameters and clearing old ones. It's never been an issue and probably explains why you don't actually get any fault codes recorded.

As for the ESP Fault while driving, I was told that on occasion the ST MAF can see airflow out of it's limits in the ECU once a remap is running. The MAF is used as part of the calculations for torque control/limiting used when the ESP intervenes so a MAF reading out of limits throws up an ESP fault. My car used to throw this up on occasion when running the Bluefin maps but maybe never with the DS.

For reading the fault codes with the handset, not all the codes stored in the ECU are accessible through a handset and instead need the car plugging into Ford's computer or a laptop running the IDS software.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 21 Jan 2010, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it's usual to see some errors come up on the dash while you're downloading a remap to the car - I know mine throws up an Engine Systems Fault while it's doing it but it all clears once the process has finished. It may come up with ESP System Fault too but I ignore it all anyway bcause its probably just down to the process of downloading new parameters and clearing old ones. It's never been an issue and probably explains why you don't actually get any fault codes recorded.

As for the ESP Fault while driving, I was told that on occasion the ST MAF can see airflow out of it's limits in the ECU once a remap is running. The MAF is used as part of the calculations for torque control/limiting used when the ESP intervenes so a MAF reading out of limits throws up an ESP fault. My car used to throw this up on occasion when running the Bluefin maps but maybe never with the DS.

For reading the fault codes with the handset, not all the codes stored in the ECU are accessible through a handset and instead need the car plugging into Ford's computer or a laptop running the IDS software.

Cheers buddy, now that you mention it 'Engine Systems Fault' also came up which was what drew my eye to the display and then it changed to ESP Fault.

MAF systems have allot to answer for, give me SD anyday. LOL.

I'll ring superchips tomorrow and if they cant come up with a solution i'll go back to stage 1.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I use to get them problems and others with bluefin and thats why i changed to code red and dont no problems what so ever now

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It's normal to get engine failure and esp system fault flash up on the dash when installing a new map. I have had on two occasions the esp systems fault and as troy said it's down to the maff sensor not being able to cope with the sudden increased air flow, have you got a cais of some sort? You could try cleaning the maff sensor or ask superchips for their reduced torque stage 2 map and see if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts