Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you all had a great Christmas.

I am running a Bluefin Stage 1 Low Torque (LT) for the past few days and so far, I like the drive but was wondering the difference between the Stage 1 LT and the Stage 2 LT.

My insurance has allowed me to run either the Stage 1 or Stage 1 LT as they are around the same power output, but if I upgrade to a Stage 2 or Stage 2 LT then I will have to pay an additional amount.

I may just be a little paranoid, as everyone running a Remap all has had or is suffering from Clutch Slip. My car is on 15,700 miles (2010 model) and don't really wanna put too much strain on the Clutch although I've been told that my Flywheel should still be in great condition to run an RS Clutch (so cost will be a damn sight cheaper) but it's still not the point. I've also been told that with my modifications, I am so far away from any Clutch Slip it's untrue.

What would be the best Stage to run during the inevitable cold Months soon to be approaching the good old UK.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
From what I've heard, Stage 2 is easier on the clutch as it's more progressive. No clutch is safe from slip, it's mainly a lottery, but also how you drive it.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
would have throught stage 2 would be less severe on the clutch than stage 1 to be honest, as there is less all in one boost. But there is also a little more peak more torque which could be the downside. Its a risk either way, why not put stage 2 low torque on and try it? if you get a slip drop it down again.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've heard too that Stage 2 is easier on the clutch as the power is not all-in-one-go as Stage 1 is. But I just don't know the difference on outputs for the LT set-up as even online I cannot find any figures.

In fairness, I usually drive like a Vicar and still have a nasty habit of being in a high gear (on the Motorway) and pulling away to overtake without dropping a gear. This habit will be broken soon. I don't "ride" the clutch, although I do worry about the clutch when I'm in stop/start traffic.

I just wanted to know more about the LT Stages and which one benefits less strain on the standard clutch.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only figures I know of are on the Superchips website for Stage 1/ Stage 2. Not sure if I can E-Mail them and they will still have the Low Torque figures?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
The only figures I know of are on the Superchips website for Stage 1/ Stage 2. Not sure if I can E-Mail them and they will still have the Low Torque figures?
nope, but the super friendly forummers can sort you out with all the maps free

i have low torque on at the moment, its fine on the motorway for normal driving and even though you shouldnt just plant the right foot you can without having too much torque stress.

The bhp figures are still quite high for low torque, there was someone who did a rolling road a while back on 262 but no torque figures im afraid.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stop start traffic isn't really a problem as long as you can actually drive
The main issues are caused by a high torque output and the clamping pressure of the plates not being strong enough (or something to that effect) which results in the slip.

So being is traffic is okay as its just minor pressure being made to just move the vehicle. So I guess, the more power you apply and the speed you are currently driving is where the problem lies as the clutch plate has to make contact with the Flywheel which has to catch up to its RPM.

So when people talk about Clutch slip in the Winter, it's not actually the Flywheel/ Clutch being cold, it's more of the colder weather causing more airflow, more fuel mixture and basically increasing BHP that makes the Clutch slip because of the torque.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Stop start traffic isn't really a problem as long as you can actually drive
The main issues are caused by a high torque output and the clamping pressure of the plates not being strong enough (or something to that effect) which results in the slip.

The LT maps aren't officially supported anymore, hence why you won't find any figures.
there must be some results that people have had done on a rr

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So pending on the driver and how the car is driven, I guess either Stage 1 LT or Stage 2 LT are both suitable for the Winter climates.

I will speak with my insurance company - I just want to know if I insure for a Stage 2, if I am allowed to downgrade a Stage and still be covered or would I need to call them each time. I will not go beyond a Stage 2 as I do not have the necessary mods' to run a Stage 3 (although it's just the CAT I am missing).

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Depends on the insurer but I can't.imagine them not covering you if you have lower power then stated.
How do they know there is a difference from 1 lt to 2lt ?? Would just add 40bhp for stage 1 or 2 tbh..

·
Registered
693 Posts
Depends on the insurer but I can't.imagine them not covering you if you have lower power then stated.
How do they know there is a difference from 1 lt to 2lt ?? Would just add 40bhp for stage 1 or 2 tbh..
I have no negative comments at all regarding my Insurance company, been with them many yeras now.

Although, when I enquired if I was to downgrade from a Stage 1 to Stage 1 LT to see if it will cost me anything extra, they had to put me on hold to enquire and then came back saying it was in the same power output so it will be fine, I will be covered. So even the LT figures are not clear with insurance companies either.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
I have no negative comments at all regarding my Insurance company, been with them many yeras now.

Although, when I enquired if I was to downgrade from a Stage 1 to Stage 1 LT to see if it will cost me anything extra, they had to put me on hold to enquire and then came back saying it was in the same power output so it will be fine, I will be covered. So even the LT figures are not clear with insurance companies either.
It's mainly cause insurers don't have a scooby when it comes to modifications. Go with the likes of one of the sponsors and you'll not have a problem

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
So pending on the driver and how the car is driven, I guess either Stage 1 LT or Stage 2 LT are both suitable for the Winter climates.

I will speak with my insurance company - I just want to know if I insure for a Stage 2, if I am allowed to downgrade a Stage and still be covered or would I need to call them each time. I will not go beyond a Stage 2 as I do not have the necessary mods' to run a Stage 3 (although it's just the CAT I am missing).
Or just put it on anyway ..and forget the phonecalls you keep making ..heh hmmm

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I'm with Sky insurance and they have never asked me what map I'm running, they are aware the car is remapped and all the other mods I have also but the type of remap doesn't seem to make a difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts