Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which remap guys? I appreciate this probably gets asked weekly, but for someone relatively inexperienced in the world of modding cars it's nice to pool on the experience of drivers such as yourselves.

Bluefin on offer until tomorrow @ £320...

Rich

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ive bluefin, cant fault it stage 1,2,3,3+. DS has more maps I think, so more chance to find a map that suits your driving style, if you can try get a spin in cars that have both and see which suits.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You get more from DS and from reading on here loads have gone from Bluefin to DS and say it is worlds apart. All i'd say is watch the clutch slip with it. Your in Hull as well so DS is round the corner!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is there anybody local to me (sutton coldfield) that has got a couple of mods (not too many) that wants to take me for a spin? Prove all the hype about remaps........

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, quite a substantial price difference though between the two, particularly at the moment. From what I've read the DS option is the superior one, but there isn't much in the way of bad reviews towards the bluefin

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im in the same boat as you atm and will be getting a 2nd hand DS handset in the new yr. works out about £250-£300.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I will be heading to DS later next year...I'm saving up as much as I can it's on 55k and I'm reckoning the clutch may slip after reading everything on here once Stage 1 is running..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be spending most of my wages at DS next year!! I'm thinking a remap as a late Xmas present now though. I'm concerned about clutch too, but car on 39k, I'm hoping if it's been driven carefully it should be ok.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
You get more from DS and from reading on here loads have gone from Bluefin to DS and say it is worlds apart. All i'd say is watch the clutch slip with it. Your in Hull as well so DS is round the corner!
You don't want to believe the tripe about maps you read on here!
I have both and there is'nt a nads difference between the lower maps!
DS is the better option for resale and Bluefin is cheaper brand new.
you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You don't want to believe the tripe about maps you read on here!
I have both and there is'nt a nads difference between the lower maps!
DS is the better option for resale and Bluefin is cheaper brand new.
you can't go wrong with either.
Cheers Stingy,

So, for the average guy like myself who just wants a bit more grunt your saying that there isn't anything to pick between the 2? Even though DS has more options?

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Cheers Stingy,

So, for the average guy like myself who just wants a bit more grunt your saying that there isn't anything to pick between the 2? Even though DS has more options?
With DS on a standard car you can run perf, perf+, race, race+ & DSCI.
With Bluefin you can run Stage 1 & Stage 2 and if the worst happens and you get clutch slip you can get Stage1 low torque and stage 2 low torque.
If you decide to mod some more Stage 3 and Stage 3+ are free
The DS can be used as a fault reader and so can Bluefin
so theres not really that much differences in the options mate.
However.............
you will be able to flog your DS very easily when you sell up.
Bluefin is £299 to reset for another ST so is pretty much a paper weight.........................
Although you do get a free reset within the first year of purchase if you decide to sell up meaning it then could be sold

Superchips also do loads of maps for other cars and you do get a price reduction if you already have a handset.
You also get a 7day no quibble money back guarantee with Bluefin should you try it and not be impressed.
you can't really go wrong with either.
New the Bluefin is a handset and DS is loaded through your laptop.
To get an older DS handset you will have to buy second hand.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
As Stingy says, there's no real difference between the Stage 1+2 on Bluefin and any of the base 5 maps on DS (Correct me if I'm wrong). It's Bluefin's Stage 3 and 3+ that set it apart from DS as they're free with BF. However, you can always add on extra maps to your DS handset for a fee and then resell the whole thing later on claiming some of that back.

The fact you're already in Hull though, I'd be tempted to go for the DS since you can always just pop down to the garage if you ever have any problems. Easier than trying to troubleshoot on here if you can go down and talk to the guys that actually work with them everyday!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
the reason i didnt go DS is because the torque ranges are quite high, as for bluefin there are low torque files floating about. I was worried id buy a DS and clutch would slip on the lowest remap and then id be stuck with something i couldnt use

1 - 20 of 55 Posts