Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’ve recently started experiencing blue smoke after boosting, it only started occurring after taking it in to get the exhaust manifold repaired (studs snapped inside the head) there’s no drop in power but a lot of blue smoke comes out after coming out of boost I’ve taken a look underneath and there seems to be a lot of oil pooling around the underside of the hot side of the turbo

(video is from above the turbo)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
The first thing I can see from your pictures is that this doesn't look right? From the marks on the hose it looks like it should have a clamp on the hose like the other end?

Automotive tire Auto part Metal Pipe Personal protective equipment

Failing that have any of the banjo fitting copper crush washers been re-used - especially on the oil feed pipes to the turbo? It's a common mistake with people thinking they look fine & can be re-used however once taken off they should be replaced with new.

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
That would explain slight leak but would that explain the blue smoke after boost
Possibly depending where the oil is ending up as it does look like an oil feed or return pipe due to the staining of the other pipes around it. Or it could be starving the turbo if that is what it is causing accelerated wear and smoke. Finally as per the spotted cut cable that should likely be attached to something as well! Hence I think that picture has likely identified most if not all your issues & you should get them addressed quickly. If they are as a result of the garage that did the stud work I would be letting them know you have a problem quickly as well! Otherwise blue smoke coming from a turbo charged car does not normally end well - or cheaply - as oil is not supposed to be burnt like that!!!

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I saw the cut wire but thought it was just an optical illusion. The pipe that looks like a clip is missing it the pcv valve assembly, it doesn’t have a clip.

To remove a snapped stud properly the head needs to come off but clearly the garage gave bodged it by trying to remove the manifold/turbo and leaving the head on, which means the weight of the manifold is just suspended by oil and water lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts