Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pre facelift ST with the chrome headlights.

I have searched the forum looking for owners that have modified these lights but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone split the lights and DIY painted them black?

I have done this on two newage STI imprezas and also on my Evo 7. Its a fairly simple job on both but quite time consuming. Hopfully it can be done on the ST as well.

Can the ST's lights be removed without taking the bumper off.?

·
Registered
343 Posts
lights are very easy to remove, unplug , one screw on the tops and pull then out towards you.
as for opening them up im not sure.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
you can buy a pair of standard st headlights in black like the ones your on about off of ebay for around £120-£150 ive seen them for, not sure where others get theirs from hope this helps

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
they are near impossible to split mate. the glue is very strong! read on here someone even tried to put them in the oven to soften the glue, without success! they are more likely to break than split.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I looked into it and everyone I spoke to advised against. I don't think anyone on here has done them theirselves. Got some from pumabuild in the end. Not cheap but I didn't want to destroy my standard lights.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(glennboysst3 @ 12 Jan 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how did you do your other ones rob ?
in an oven ??

Yeah,

The impreza was the first car i tried it on some years ago now.. Baked at 50 deg for 5 mins as per a how to thread. Which didnt work!!. I continued to up the temp until finally 100 deg and they split. With the second light i just went straight in and cooked at 100deg for 8min.

When i sold the UK STI for a Jap twin scroll i did the same thing and again when i sold that i did the Evo. All at 100 deg.

Reading this you folks might think 100 deg is crazy.. but it did no damge to any of the light units. (Only my fingers, lol)

I think i'll wip em out the ST and get my cooking gloves on.

I'll give an update with my results. (which wont be until the weekend)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 12 Jan 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>like i said they sell them on ebay for just over £100 might aswel get them

Cheers but i'll keep that in mind as a backup plan i refuse to buy anything that i couldnt make or do myself cheaper.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
fair comment lol, as said above let ur know how you get on and maybe do a guide so we can all save some money lol

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
QUOTE(rob2006 @ 12 Jan 2010, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah,

The impreza was the first car i tried it on some years ago now.. Baked at 50 deg for 5 mins as per a how to thread. Which didnt work!!. I continued to up the temp until finally 100 deg and they split. With the second light i just went straight in and cooked at 100deg for 8min.

When i sold the UK STI for a Jap twin scroll i did the same thing and again when i sold that i did the Evo. All at 100 deg.

Reading this you folks might think 100 deg is crazy.. but it did no damge to any of the light units. (Only my fingers, lol)

I think i'll wip em out the ST and get my cooking gloves on.

I'll give an update with my results. (which wont be until the weekend)

Good for you Rob, Im all for cheap d.i.y mods, these are the things that make your car stand out from the rest

Keep us posted mate

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
QUOTE(rob2006 @ 12 Jan 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers but i'll keep that in mind as a backup plan i refuse to buy anything that i couldnt make or do myself cheaper.

I love the attitude, but you may struggle with the ST lights, many have tried and failed. Don't try too hard just to prove the point, stick with what has worked before for you and go no further.

·
Registered
874 Posts
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 12 Jan 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love the attitude, but you may struggle with the ST lights, many have tried and failed. Don't try too hard just to prove the point, stick with what has worked before for you and go no further.

otherwise baked
lamps for dinner?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to attempt this tonight seeing as i have tomorrow off work. Will update late this evening.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts