Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let everyone know, as i cant find much info on this or any other forum.

I have fitted a pair of Continental Contact Winter 245/40/18 tyres to my standard wheels with standard suspension on my ST.

Fits fine, no rubbing and grips better. Whats the biggest this car can take?

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Just to let everyone know, as i cant find much info on this or any other forum.

I have fitted a pair of Continental Contact Winter 245/40/18 tyres to my standard wheels with standard suspension on my ST.

Fits fine, no rubbing and grips better. Whats the biggest this car can take?
Don't you want narrower tyres, if anything in the snow? It's the whole reason people put 16" steelies with winter tyres on isn't it? The smaller the surface area of the contact patch, the more pressure there is on it, meaning it'll have a better chance of getting through the snow and onto the tarmac.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
its always a bit of a gamble in this country as to what style of tyres to run for the snow etc as here we get fresh snow that then spends a week as compacted ice... meaning tyres arent 'really' going to help much.

If like the continent we were to have fresh snow all the time then wider tyres would be best, as for the compacted ice, narrower would be better but as previously said. not going to help all that much

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking more for the wet damp cold roads, snow usually isn't really a problem for me.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Look at the tyres fitted to the "Andros Trophy" cars, they are narrow! - For normal weather you do not want t be going any wider than recommended or it will have an adverse effect on handling (ie. tyre wall flex & roll)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts