Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For less than about £25, what's the best OBD-II fault code reader and software on the market? Noting that the DS Ultra doesn't pick up absolutely everything, it seemed sensible to splash out on something to complement it.

For a little over £7 I've spotted a USB ELM327 on eBay.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
But does it give you the option of activating the option to activate options?

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,228 Posts
For less than about £25, what's the best OBD-II fault code reader and software on the market? Noting that the DS Ultra doesn't pick up absolutely everything, it seemed sensible to splash out on something to complement it.

For a little over £7 I've spotted a USB ELM327 on eBay.
I'm sure that I've read on another thread on this subject that even code readers that cost more than £100 won't read all of the codes. There were a couple of readers for around £175 that were quite good but even these won't read everything.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure that I've read on another thread on this subject that even code readers that cost more than £100 won't read all of the codes. There were a couple of readers for around £175 that were quite good but even these won't read everything.
This little nugget makes me die a little inside. For that sort of money I'd want it to massage my shoulders and make my bed.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The cheap OBD readers will read generic faults specified in the OBD-layout, but they wont read Ford Focus ST specific faults.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Bluetooth OBDII adapter and Torque Pro on Android phone. Nuff said. If you have the phone on data, it can do live internet look ups for faults. If it was enabled to tune the ECU there could be nothing better.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I imagine that most manufacturers still retain some degree of need to use the dealership for certain faults, i know that there are definitely certain things that only an up to date Ford IDS can clear.

I use a Snap-On Solus Pro for anything major but even that will not sort everything out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts