Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a focus ST-2 64plate . I have a 'in car' roar sound when excelrating but I want it to roar 'outside' what do I need to do/get to do this without effecting the performance of my car or using more fuel - if that's possible 馃槀.

TIA

Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
Most people go for cat-backs, me included (same price as the standard replacement) Just don't go for the un-named ones off ebay as they are louder than advertised.

Most go for 3" ones and the most ones i've seen being used it the mongoose ones on standard st's.

Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
As above your Mongoose 3" system cat back will get you a nice sound without being too loud. A&K Motorsport or Collins (both vendors on here) will likely get you good club prices on those if you join up. For better performance you could get a sports cat & bigger downpipe to add to it as well.
Milltek is a good system but quite a bit more expensive than Mongoose. Failing that the cheap & easy way to get more noise on the standard system is to remove the centre resonator section. Simply swap this for a straight pipe to get the best noise for the least amount of money!

Registered
I've got a Cobra and really like it, however I heard a Dreamsceience cat-back at the weekend and think it sounds a lot better.

What I found when getting my exhaust was the in-car symposer clashes with the exhaust note and it droned horribily. The Dreamscience map took it out and it was perfect after.

Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
De resonate the standard system, it鈥檚 easy, dirt cheap, gives a nice growl without being loud and annoying, no drone at all, biggest bonus is you get to keep the stock tailpipe, which imho is the only one that suits the rear end.

Premium Member
I've got a Cobra and really like it, however I heard a Dreamsceience cat-back at the weekend and think it sounds a lot better.

What I found when getting my exhaust was the in-car symposer clashes with the exhaust note and it droned horribily. The Dreamscience map took it out and it was perfect after.
I'm glad i have found this thread as I got a custom exhaust and had to had a res added as the drone was way too much. Even with the res it can still be extremely droney. Did you ask for the symposer delete with the map?

Registered
I'm glad i have found this thread as I got a custom exhaust and had to had a res added as the drone was way too much. Even with the res it can still be extremely droney. Did you ask for the symposer delete with the map?
No, it came specifically with the iMap.

Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
As many will probably already know, the symposer delete is easily achieved (irrespective of mapping) by simply purchasing the rudimentary blanking plate kit (typically around 拢30). Unbolt the symposer unit, remove the ducting & wiring connector (tape this up securely to prevent water ingress) bolt the blanking plate onto the inlet manifold, put a 38mm bung in the bulk head where the duct enters and the job's done (takes less than an hour, and that includes a tea break).

Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
As many will probably already know, the symposer delete is easily achieved (irrespective of mapping) by simply purchasing the rudimentary blanking plate kit (typically around 拢30). Unbolt the symposer unit, remove the ducting & wiring connector (tape this up securely to prevent water ingress) bolt the blanking plate onto the inlet manifold, put a 38mm bung in the bulk head where the duct enters and the job's done (takes less than an hour, and that includes a tea break).
This is only possible on the PFL Mk3 I believe, the FL has a different setup with some withcraft that send the sound through the speakers.

Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
This is only possible on the PFL Mk3 I believe, the FL has a different setup with some witchcraft that send the sound through the speakers.
Apologies if I've misled anyone, my (limited) knowledge only extends to Mk3 not Mk3.5.

Indeed, the Mk3.5 does NOT have a mechanical symposer like the Mk3. Instead the Mk3.5 has an artificial sound symposer (as Sean B correctly points out) were the induction sound is generated by the audio system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts