Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Been looking for some inspiration for runs out in the ST... came across a site with a few suggestions:

"Here are some of my favourite English roads with biased and largely irrelevant star ratings... "

Great Driving Roads : England
  • Cheddar Gorge ***** : Map : Pic
    My nearest excellent road. Starting from the edge of Cheddar village, the climb up through the gorge is a series of challenging tight turns on a narrow two lane road. Cheddar Gorge is a busy tourist attraction, so a night run is the only option. Even then, I do a survey run first.
  • Burrington Coombe *****
    Freshly resurfaced in the Autumn of 2002, this is the new 'must do' road in my region. The new surfacing is more than just cosmetic, with a widening and smoothing of the entire gorge section. One single lane section remains, but throughout the rest of the undulating climb the visibility and safely is much improved. It is now of almost racetrack quality and full of character. * At the time of typing, a few 40 limit reminder signs have been placed at the foot of the hill. As below, the Mendips area is having new limits put in at various places, and the Coombe is a likely candidate.
  • The Mendips ****
    The Mendip Hills offer the best driving roads close to where I live. Although Cheddar Gorge (above) is the star attraction, a few other sections are worth exploration. The A368 has long been a favourite of mine, but is increasingly busy and has had new speed limit sections added. One "good bit" remains between Marksbury and Bishop Sutton - a glorious run of approx. 6 miles. Out on the top of the hills, progress is swift and the overtaking space plentiful.
  • Exmoor Coast Road **** : Map 1 : Map 2 : Pic
    The A39 is a fast road with good sweeping bends, several nice ups and downs and corkers of hills at either end. My favourite section is from Lynmouth to Porlock. Great views at County Gate and throughout. Lots of interesting side roads, including narrow scuttles across the moors.
  • Exmoor Exe Valley Road ***
    Rated highly by a famous motoring journalist, the A396 from Tiverton to Dunster is a twisting, narrow two-lane run through woodland alongside the River Exe. In following the course of the river the road meanders wildly offering an almost unceasing sequence of corners. Although I'm sure it will get resurfaced one day, I find that the rough broken tarmac a problem and because of the overhanging trees, the route is often damp and slippery.
  • Exmoor Brendon Common Road ****
    The Brendon Hills and Brendon Common are crossed by fast B-roads that are rarely congested, even in the height of the caravan migration. The B3223 is the best of the bunch for driving thrills. Good visibility and nice corners make for a great few miles that you will probably want to repeat.
  • Blandford Corners *****
    A short but stupendously entertaining section of the A350 exists just north of Blandford Forum. Here as the A350 makes a detour around an old manor estate, the extremely tight turns and short sprints remind me more of an airfield trackday than any other bit of road I know. Fantastic!
    )
  • Hardknott and Wrynose Passes *** : Map 1 : Map 2
    Easily the most outrageous road in the Lake District, the single track road across Hardknott Pass and Wrynose Pass is just plain silly. The road is very narrow, roughly surfaced, extremely steep, world championship twisty and, all too often, busy with traffic. Great fun and hugely frustrating at the same time.
  • Hartside ***** : Map : Pic
    The climb up Hartside along the A686 is widely known as a stupendous ascent. It is often busy with bikers, tourists and other traffic. The sequence of twisties, sweepers, hairpins and short straights make it a challenge to driving skill and a rush like almost no other. There's a cafe at the top, where you can view the road and grab some bad food.

"Here are some of my favourite Welsh roads with biased and largely irrelevant star ratings... "

Great Driving Roads : Wales
  • Fforest Fawr ***** : Map
    The only road here that is located in South Wales, the Fforest Fawr road, or A4069, connects Brynamman with Llangadog via the Black Mountain. The sections across the open mountain are nothing short of breathtaking. Tight turns, good visibility and surface, stunning views and the odd wandering sheep make for one of the best drives Wales. The desent heading North is a brake tester, so make sure you don't have pads that fade easily!

• Llyn Brianne ***** : Map 1 : Map 2 : Map 3 : Pic
    For the fearless this is about as good as it gets, but the single track mountain roads around Llyn Brianne can fight back. The network of lanes include forested twisties, sweeping open cliff-huggers and two notable sequences of hairpins. One of these is named the Devil's Staircase, and if you are anything less than extremely alert, will bite great chunks out of your car. A fabulous thrill, but watch for tourists, sheep and farm vehicles.

• Elan Valley **** : Map 1 : Map 2 : Pic
    Further North from Llyn Brianne, the Elan Valley road also crosses the heart of Wales along a mountainous route. This is a much less demanding route, although many sections are still single track and accidents seem all too frequent. Highlights include the echoes from the cliff sides and the short squirts along the Elan Valley itself. You can do the two above routes as a loop including lunch in Tregaron or Devil's Bridge.
  • Pass of Llanberis *** : Map : Pic
    The passes in Snowdonia are all scenic and thrilling to drive. The pick of the bunch is the Pass of Llanberis. This is a busy road, with stone walls, caravans, walkers and narrow lanes. Consideration for the other users of the road must be a priority but this is a top rate scuttle if you get a clear run. Similar thrills are present over a proportion of the nearby Glyders road, and whilst in the area, try the two great roads below.
  • B4407 **** : Map : Pic
    My favourite open moorland road in Wales is the B4407 that connects Ysbyty Ifan with Ffestiniog. The route is partly single track and has several dramatic humps that will cause light cars to jump. The corners ore especially tricky, with a couple located on narrow bridges.
  • A543 & Mynydd Hiraethog ***** : Map 1 : Map 2 : Pic
    The moorland road across Mynydd Hiraethog is a series of sweeping bends and fast straights with a number of exhilarating twists in drainage dips. There are two roads that form the sides of a triangle up from the A5 at either Pentrefoelas or Cerrigydrudion. It's not an especially technical challenge for the most part, although you must be careful that nothing is hiding in the dips. Becuase of the variety of challenges and the light traffic, this is a favourite of mine and many of my friends.
  • Berwyn ***** : Map 1 : Map 2
    Connecting Welshpool with Bala, the A490 joins the B4391 to cross the Berwyn mountain. This road is quite simply a corker! After a few scenic villages with great valley and mountain views the road rises to wiggle across the mountain along the boundary of Snowdonia National Park. Sweeping bends, dips and distracting drops fill the highland section before a descent through farmland and woods.
  • A44 **** : Map
    Forming the main route East-West across mid Wales, the A44 offers great scenery, thrilling corners and in season annoying traffic jams. The route includes a scenic section along Plynlimon Fawr with good visibility and monster hairpins. This is most challenging section althoug the road remains a good one for many miles as it heads East towards England.
  • Wye Valley ***
    Finding this road empty enough to enjoy is very rare. You will need to be an insomniac or very lucky, but if you do get a clear run, then the complex sequences of corners are as rewarding as they are entertaining. The route connects Chepstow with Monmouth.
Sorry if these have been posted before ... if not, maybe others could add to this (by region?) in a similar way/personal rating?

All the same... I'll be trying a few of them when down in the Bristol next :)

Stu

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not sure on the name of the road but it's up in the Lake District, i think its the A591. Probably the best driving road i've ever been on. Also there are some amazing roads near a place called Heydon in Hertfordshire very near the border of Essex. You come to a cross roads and it doesn't matter what way you go you will find an excellent driving road. But for any one who lives local, go in through Heydon, and when you get to the cross roads (in Great Chishill) turn left and the road towards Wendens Ambo is absolutely excellent.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(Stu76 @ 28 Dec 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>maybe others could add to this (by region?) in a similar way/personal rating?
I would rather keep my favourite roads out of the public domain. My personal favourite already has a police presence

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(Mark83 @ 28 Dec 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would rather keep my favourite roads out of the public domain. My personal favourite already has a police presence

+1

Mine are released by personal invitation only lol

·
Registered
824 Posts
A great post, now can you get some of them roads relocated to the northeast

Like others though I'm not telling where my favourite roads are cos they're all empty, just how I like them

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(Mark83 @ 28 Dec 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or during a nice little curry house in Southend

Edit: It appears the restaurant name has been added to the swear filter...

Some time ago Mark lol

Shame the Burnham Road has Helicopters now!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every road on the Westrn Isle ... All nice and twisty to test your courage ..Not a large straight in sight and as for a motorway .... no chance
#

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
the road that runs right round the isle of mull, even the wife had a smile on her face and she doesnt do speed

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,493 Posts
QUOTE(Martin... @ 29 Dec 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hartside is the best and its only 20/25 mins drive from my house!!! :-D

Thats a class road done it many times even in the snow

·
Registered
138 Posts
QUOTE(Orange Man @ 29 Dec 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats a class road done it many times even in the snow

Never done it in snow yet... Rain yes, with MX5 and alot of camber and strecthed tyres, not good combo lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts