Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 eSTate in Frozen white
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've done a search on here but can only really see opinions for petrol engines. I'm looking to replace the paper filter for a decent cone, which is the best option? Back in the day it was always K&N but there's loads to choose from now.

I'm never going to be putting a full induction kit on the car, will be keeping the airbox although I do have the RS style open top and a Velossatech Big Mouth ordered for when I fit the cone. I may consider swapping the crossover pipe to a silicone one if there's a benefit but not overly fussed on doing that.

So, opinions welcome - what works best for the diesel?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I’ve a K&N air filter with silicone induction hose and RS cover on mine and not once has it gone into limp mode, also running Pumaspeed stage 1R.
Not sure about the Velossatech Big Mouth, I’m sure I’ve read they don’t fit the diesel for some reason? Could be wrong though!

I’ve got an uprated engine mount as well which makes a difference getting the power down, can’t recommend that enough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just ordered myself a K&N. Will need to check with Dreamscience if the Velossatech Big Mouth I bought will fit but from looking at the website apparently it'll fit STs & ST-Lines so hoping it's the same set up throughout the model range.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I'm not sure if anything 'works best' other than the stock intake.

Don't expect any power gains, even remapped the power increase is likely to be unaffected whether it's running a standard airbox or aftermarket system. The way a diesel engine works is very different from a petrol, air is in abundance so changing the intake is unlikely to make any real impact.

I'd try to take one for a test drive with an induction kit fitted before spending money on one, or worst case scenario watch a few youtube videos. I think you may end up disappointed by the noise as it will just release the 'inner tractor' as opposed to sound better (IMO).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've watched a few clips online of the noise so I'm not expecting it to sound like a petrol at all.

i've had a tuned Fabia vRS in the past so used to the tractor noise. I'm not expecting much, if anything, of a power increase - I'll be happy if there's a bit more noise from the turbo on full throttle. Thank you all for the replies.

·
Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
129 Posts
My car had the K & N filter in the standard closed end air box when I brought it just over a year ago, never had any issues with limp mode.
Recently fitted the RS Airbox Lid, definitely more induction noise, more of a deep roar noise, not like the sucking noise the open filters make on petrol engines, and to me the car feels a bit more responsive, seems to come on boost a bit quicker.
Wouldn't say it's made any difference to the overall power. Still no limp mode issues. As far as I'm aware, mine isn't mapped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fitted my K&N filter and RS style airbox lid tonight. The sound is brilliant and for the first few minutes of driving the car is spot on. Then it goes into limp mode.

It clears when I turn the ignition off and ba k on again but just repeats the cycle. I disconnected the battery for an hour then after reconnecting I left the car running on idle for fifteen minutes to let the MAF reset itself but the issue just came back at the same point on my test drive. Any other things I can try?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I fitted my K&N filter and RS style airbox lid tonight. The sound is brilliant and for the first few minutes of driving the car is spot on. Then it goes into limp mode.

It clears when I turn the ignition off and ba k on again but just repeats the cycle. I disconnected the battery for an hour then after reconnecting I left the car running on idle for fifteen minutes to let the MAF reset itself but the issue just came back at the same point on my test drive. Any other things I can try?
Damn, that sucks !!! These Diesel engines do seem to be quite fussy with any type of Air Filter mods, some seem to be fine, others just go to limp mode.

Are you running the Factory Map on your car ? Is the end of the Air Box open or closed (The circular end, next to the Fuse Box? Does your RS Lid have the rubber horseshoe shape bit that seals it to the insulation mat on the underside of the bonnet ?

For reference, mine has a closed end and has the horseshoe shaped seal which is definitely sealing with the bonnet insulation. As far as I know, mine isn't remapped, no real history on the car when I brought it, so can't say 100%, not sure how else you can determine whether it's mapped, other putting on dyne to compare against standard figures.

Maybe it's something that could be rectified by a custom map, they may be able to set the car up to accept the extra air flow. I guess it's the MAF sensor that's making it go into limp mode, not sure if there's any other way of getting that recalibrated for the extra air flow, other than being factored into a remap.

Any other diesel owners on here with a similar setup ? If so, what's your experiences ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@WayneST-2, thanks for the reply. The car is 100% bog standard on the Ford factory map. A remap is on the cards actually but I'm saving pennies to go straight to Stage 2 with an intercooler, exhaust etc. It might need to be sooner than planned.

The air box lid has the horseshoe shaped seal which seems to be meeting up with the bonnet insulation. The round end is open but the k&n filter closes that off same as the standard cone.

It's due a service so will be at Ford soon enough, hopefully thy can recalibrate the MAF sensor until I can get it along to Laird Performance or Devine Autotech.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So an update of sorts... I drove the 40 mile round trip to work today taking it fairly easy and the car was fine. Came on boost no problem, sat at 70 + 10% + 2mph as always. For the last mile of dual carriageway before home I opened it up and was straight into limp mode after a blast of WOT (or whatever the diesel equivalent is) and as soon as the revs passed 4k it went into limp mode. After tomorrow I don't need the car for two weeks as I'm away on holiday and it's going into Ford for a service so I might ask them to have a look and see if they can recalibrate my MAF. Although, I'm happy to give it a go using FordScan if it'll help any.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
@Kevin_Mc - Not sure if I'm understanding this right "The round end is open but the k&n filter closes that off same as the standard cone."

Does the end of yours look like this, with the open end:

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Or this, with closed end:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Personal luxury car

If the end is open, then maybe it's pulling in too much air and sending the MAF sensor over it's limit.
I have the closed end setup on my car.

You mentioned in Post #8 that you fitted the K&N filter and RS Lid.
Have you tried them separately, ie the standard filter with the RS Lid, then the K&N filter with the standard lid ?

@Robstowl - What setup do you have on yours, Open or closed end ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@WayneST-2, its the same as the second photo - the end of the box has the round cut out but the K&N filter is the type with the closed end so it sits in the gap and closes it, same as the standard paper filter with the plastic end.

I fitted both the filter and the lid at the same time. Ideally, I'd like to keep both fitted and if it means getting a map to trick the MAF sensor then I'll just do it and keep saving for Stage 2. I'm hoping there's an easier fix, I'll have a look later today with Forscan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts