Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Been a while since I posted on here, so please be kind.:)

My 2017 ST3.5 is 6months out of warranty, with the clutch recently starting to slip really badly. In any gear, putting a large demand in sees the revs rise to 5/6k and speed pickup is slow.
Ford have quoted me £1089 to replace, although at that money I'd want something special.

So I'm open to suggestions.
I don't do on track, but I do like to give it some stick now and then.
Have heard about the Quaife LSD upgrade, and was wondering if getting the two done together might save some money?

Clutch wise do I replace the flywheel? Car has only done 36k.

Is there a better option than the clutch ford will supply?

Any help greatly appreciated. And please, dumb it down a bit. Whilst I am technically minded, my are of expertise is electrical/ electronic.

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Stealth grey ST 3.5

·
Registered
721 Posts
Fitting the lsd at the same time is a no brainer, your taking the box out, and it's a big chunk of labour, if you can afford the extra few hundred for the lsd then definitely do it. You can buy the mk3 rs clutch kit for about £800, this is probably where you want to be for daily fast road use. Anything else is likely to be converting to a single mass flywheel which is not ideal for daily driving.

Link for mk3 rs clutch

https://www.oc-motorsport.co.uk/product-page/ford-focus-rs-mk3-genuine-clutch-kit

Link for lsd

https://www.oc-motorsport.co.uk/product-page/quaife-atb-helical-lsd-differential-ford-focus-st-mk3

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitely fit the quaife if you can, the best single mod I have done to mine, totally transforms the car, had mine done along with the RS clutch and flywheel, think all in was around 1400 fitted, Mountune did the diff and fitted the clutch at the same time (just for the cost of the parts as it was all apart anyway)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely fit the quaife if you can, the best single mod I have done to mine, totally transforms the car, had mine done along with the RS clutch and flywheel, think all in was around 1400 fitted, Mountune did the diff and fitted the clutch at the same time (just for the cost of the parts as it was all apart anyway)
Wow that was a good deal at that price! Cheapest for the parts ive seen is £800 for the RS clutch (with FW) and £700 for the Quaife LSD. Fitting is around 5/6 hours for both, so I'm getting quotes in the region of £2k.

Definitely going to go for the up-rated RS clutch and flywheel for Circa £1200 fitted, but also leaning towards the LSD ;)

Might have to speak to Mountune to see what price the will do for me too!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not seen what mileage the car has done in this thread. Do you know something that we don't?
The title is "Best clutch options for 36k 2017 ST3.5" and also in the post itself he says.... "Clutch wise do I replace the flywheel? Car has only done 36k"

Then he mentions "My 2017 ST3.5 is 6months out of warranty, with the clutch recently starting to slip really badly"

So im asking from what im reading, is it common to have to replace a clutch at 36k as iv recently bought one. Not sure if im being stupid or not, he mentioned twice the mileage is 36k? Which is low mileage? Could you elaborate what you know that i dont? Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not seen what mileage the car has done in this thread. Do you know something that we don't?
I deffo don't think this is normal, but as I stated in the original, I've only done 36K and non of that on track. Usual occasional blast away from the lights to stop some Beemer cutting me up, and nippy around the roundabouts but that's it. Not impressed, but Ford won't do anything. That's why i'm not paqying them £1100 for another standard clutch; i'll be driving everywhere worrying it's gonna go.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The title is "Best clutch options for 36k 2017 ST3.5" and also in the post itself he says.... "Clutch wise do I replace the flywheel? Car has only done 36k"

Then he mentions "My 2017 ST3.5 is 6months out of warranty, with the clutch recently starting to slip really badly"

So im asking from what im reading, is it common to have to replace a clutch at 36k as iv recently bought one. Not sure if im being stupid or not, he mentioned twice the mileage is 36k?
Dabhand,

I did fail to mention I bought the car from a main dealer on 8k miles, so perhaps a lot of those miles were 'test-pilots' trying out the car before buying a new one from them. From what i've read, this is definitely not normal so you should be able to rest easy. The problem with all friction parts is that when they go, you are always going to be blamed for poor driving technique by the dealer. it's a lot of manhours to burn on goodwill to replace.

Neil

·
Registered
380 Posts
I deffo don't think this is normal, but as I stated in the original, I've only done 36K and non of that on track. Usual occasional blast away from the lights to stop some Beemer cutting me up, and nippy around the roundabouts but that's it. Not impressed, but Ford won't do anything. That's why i'm not paqying them £1100 for another standard clutch; i'll be driving everywhere worrying it's gonna go. :D
Yeah i was thinking that doesnt seem normal for only 36k, id understand from constant hard use or track use or maybe an aggressive tune/map. But if your bone stock right? and just give it some here and there like i guess most of us do, i would expect a clutch to last much longer than 36k. Suppose its a good excuse now to go for the RS clutch which will last longer as its made for more power :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i was thinking that doesnt seem normal for only 36k, id understand from constant hard use or track use or maybe an aggressive tune/map. But if your bone stock right? and just give it some here and there like i guess most of us do, i would expect a clutch to last much longer than 36k. Suppose its a good excuse now to go for the RS clutch which will last longer as its made for more power :)
Just trying to get a call back from Mountune now, but it seems like they are not answering emails or facebook posts. hopefully they will be in touch soon.

Whoever I end up getting the work done with, I will make it a condition that I can take lots of photos for on here, and will do a before and after driving comparison (clutch permitting) for the LSD.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,381 Posts

So im asking from what im reading, is it common to have to replace a clutch at 36k as iv recently bought one. Not sure if im being stupid or not, he mentioned twice the mileage is 36k? Which is low mileage? Could you elaborate what you know that i dont? Cheers
I stand corrected! Hidden in plain sight. My apologies.

Clutch life is very dependent on driving style as well as engine power. Tuned STs. usually have huge torque from low revs so if somebody gives it WOT from low revs frequently it is a clutch killer. I knew a guy with a tuned mk2 who went through a clutch in a year - twice! Not high miles either. My OE mk 2 clutch lasted 79 k miles with stage 2 from 55k before I replaced it and My Calibra had a new clutch at 100k and there was plenty left on it. I sold it at 206 k miles with that replacement clutch still OK.

If there was an issue like this with the mk3 it would have a lot of exposure on here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may well be right, the person who has the car before me was probably a dealer salesman who put his foot to the floor every opportunity, so I guess I'll never know.
As for moving forward (excuse the pun) I'm going for the RS clutch and Flywheel just for peace of mind. At this stage there's not much in it. Most likely go for the LSD too as I'll never get a cheaper chance for install.
....and it'll be nice 🤓

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mountune had it on their Christmas offers last year and I ordered it then, Decided to do the clutch and flywheel about a week before it was due to go in and they said that they would fit for just the cost of the parts as it was all apart anyway, they did it all in a day (long day as I had to drive from Bristol!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
James, that's an awesome price, parts are that on there own now.;) How has it been driving it? I've driven the MK4 with LSd, but how's the RS clutch, any different feel?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Blimey 36k and clutch knackered...someone's been seriously mistreating it...or it has a fault I guess.

My current ST 3.5 also bought in 2017 is going just perfectly (famous last words) and has done 41k - hopefully that's not at all unusual :huh:

Bit irrelevant to this thread though sorry...fitting a new LSD as well as new clutch seems to make sense - from what others have said - go for it!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Just trying to get a call back from Mountune now, but it seems like they are not answering emails or facebook posts. hopefully they will be in touch soon.

You might struggle & be waiting a LONG time to get an answer from Mountune - unless you are interesting in investing in their company!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Everything feels a little bit heavier, clutch is fine and dont notice and difference now its been in for a whilst, is heavier than stock, mine only had 22500 Miles on it when I changed it, the LSD made the biggest difference, the car just goes where you point it now, no more pointless wheel spin in 1st to 3 rd (unless you are really trying!!🤭) and you can chuck it into a corner and put your foot down and it drags itself around, can get the back end out too which is fun and not expected from a front wheel drive car! again the steering feels heavier than it did but honestly its the best thing is have done to the car it just inspires more confidence

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everything feels a little bit heavier, clutch is fine and dont notice and difference now its been in for a whilst, is heavier than stock, mine only had 22500 Miles on it when I changed it, the LSD made the biggest difference, the car just goes where you point it now, no more pointless wheel spin in 1st to 3 rd (unless you are really trying!!🤭) and you can chuck it into a corner and put your foot down and it drags itself around, can get the back end out too which is fun and not expected from a front wheel drive car! again the steering feels heavier than it did but honestly its the best thing is have done to the car it just inspires more confidence

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great info there Jameo, especially about the LSD and drivability. Mountune responses by email are robotic and limited to only answering part of what you ask. Quite a shame really as they had a good name as far as I was concerned. I get the impression they don't need the work.
Few other garages have been much more approachable and interested, including KMS in Wigan, and JW Racing in Luton. Not sure who to have do the work, but would want the whole thing documented with photos, something KMS is more than happy to do. 😊

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.