Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ive got a 56 plate focus st and in the past month ive had to charge the battery about 4 or 5 times!!! ive checked the voltage when the car is running and its over 14 volts which surely means the alternator is fine!!!! so does this mean it is time to buy a new battery????? anyone else had trouble with there st battery ??? any advice will be helpfull many thx dan

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,381 Posts
Battery life can be a bit of a lottery. Some will only last for about three years where others will go on for much longer. I had an old 'W' reg bog basic 950ccFiesta years ago and when I changed the battery the original one was date stamped seven years earlier! It was in daily use too.

A good battery should give about 12.5 - 13 volts or better when tested without the engine running. Anything under that and there might be a cell failing. If that is OK and you are not doing lots of very short journeys with all of the electrical gubbins on - heated screens, headlamps, seats, radio etc, which will drain a battery, it might be worth checking that you have not got a short somewhere. Maybe some water in the system for instance. There will always be some drain due to the alarm sytem etc, but a sensitive meter ought to be able to show if there is an excessive drain.

An electrical factors should be able to do a test for you very quickly and cheaply to check both the alternator output and the state of the battey by using a tool that puts the battery under load and measures how it reacts.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(kosmo @ 26 Dec 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nothing draining the battery... lights, glove box lights, boot light... anything that may be left on overnight?
My glovebox light has always been a pain for staying on, I have to use a spacer pad on the glovebox door to make sure it operates the switch enough to turn the light off.

but by rights a lot of the interior lights etc are supposed to turn off after 30 mins or an hour if they're left on, there are some energy-saving features built into the GEM module which controls lots of stuff like that.

Also if you've got it on the car, check you've not had the bluetooth in action when you've shut the car off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cant find anything thats draining battery and im an electrician so i put meter on batt whe engine running and it goes up over 14 volts. When egine off it returns back down to 11-12 volts!!! Must be battery ?????

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,381 Posts
QUOTE(stfezzy @ 26 Dec 2009, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cant find anything thats draining battery and im an electrician so i put meter on batt whe engine running and it goes up over 14 volts. When egine off it returns back down to 11-12 volts!!! Must be battery ?????

I think that off charge a battery ought to give more than you are getting. Can you check a friends car to see what their batteries give off charge? That would confirm that it is your battery.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi mate its completely flAT NOW OR ATLEAST NOT ENOUGH TO TURN ENGINE OVA SO IM TRYING TO RING RAC BUT CANT
GET THROUGH. MAY CHECK VOLTAGE ON ME VAN IN A MIN SEE WHAT HES AT NORMAlly cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds like you've got a cell down, but as stated before you can't properly check the battery with a normal voltmeter, you have to put it under load - not something most people can do, you need an auto electrician, or the RAC/AA type people.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I had a problem with my battery once. From the day i bought the car it never started on the first crank, it always took about 3 - 4 turns. Ford could not pin point the problem. I later discoved the car had the completely wrong battery (power was 50) so i put in a much more powerful one (85) and its been fine since. If i were you id check to see if its the correct battery as it could cause all sorts of problems.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I tried looking up the ST battery spec once but couldn't find it - best info I got was that the highest Ah rated battery Ford factory fit to the Focus models is 70Ah.

I've never checked what's actually fitted to my car but easy enough to do when temps outside get above freezing again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quick update and its all sorted now!!! did a load test on battery to make sure it wasnt something in car draining the power, that came out well with the car only pulling 30milliamps when off and locked!!! so took battery off and took it down halfords and they checked the battery for me which they told me it came up on there machine at 3% which he said a good battery should be 70% minimum lol. So bought a new battery at halfords , got a 70AH whereas the standard one is 60 AH all for the price of £95 with 3 years warranty ideal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.