Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my way home tonight my battery light came on and there was a noise coming from the engine bay.

managed to get home just as i was pulling into my road the abs and esp light come on every time i broke or steered the car then as im getting to my drive the steering fails ive looked under the bonnet the battery is connected fine

any ideas ??

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
battery seems ok well i havent tested it but it starts the car every time then the light comes straight back on its under warranty anyway apart from the battery so im not worried about cost just
off as the car is used daily but has been very reliable and low mileage but to be fair it was -6 today at work

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the alternator, they make a lovely noise when failing and will instantly bring the battery light on
it did seem loud and as if something was under strain so hope so as thats covered by the warranty lol

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Not the time of year you want to be handing out around £400 to get it replaced, thankfully you have a warranty

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well got looked at today it was defo the alternator was getting red hot within seconds of the engine running so worn bearings inside at least its covered by the waranty and should be ready monday only one problem had to buy a new battery as it was low on efficiency thats £80 so not bad really

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Was the battery on low efficiency because of the alternator not charging it?
Or because the garage wanted to make some money back from the warranty work

Unless the battery had gone completely dead (unlikely), a good drive around with the new alternator would have sorted the battery out for you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Or because the garage wanted to make some money back from the warranty work

Unless the battery had gone completely dead (unlikely), a good drive around with the new alternator would have sorted the battery out for you.
Sounds like OP works in a garage so doubt it was a money thing for warranty.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nah it was low i think what didnt help is i think i drove from work last night on the battery power so im taking no risks as it looks like its gonna be a
winter here so i need the battery to be good and yeah i work for a ford dealer so i got it at staff rates should of been 96 + vat so 80 including vat is pretty good

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeah I had battery problems with my first car in winters so just kept buying new batteries instead of getting it looked at lol. In my mind it was cheaper to buy a couple of new batteries than get it checked and be told to bend over and take it deep for a new alt. haha

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,589 Posts
I think I'd have still run it with the new alternator for a while before committing to a replacement.
A new battery is a simple DIY job after all.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the way my luck goes if i dont change it when i really need the car for an emergency it will let me down so would rather change it to be sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts