Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their battery due to the cold etc?

My car is a 2007 and I assume its on it's original battery, I've had it since May and had no problems at all! I mainly do local mileage to and from work (only 2-3 miles away), although occasionally do go a bit further a field. On the last few cold start ups when it's been freezing I noticed for the first 10-15 seconds a whining noise, but that went away and didn't do it after initial start up, yesterday I went out and drove a few miles to a friends house, turned the engine off but then tried to start it about 5 minutes later, there was absolutely nothing the car was totally dead, I immediately thought about the whining noise I'd heard and wondered if it was the alternator that had gone, but a few minutes later I managed to start the car although it was a sluggish start.

I drove a decent distance yesterday after that (about 30 miles), parked the car up over night and went back to it this morning, it started absolutely fine, but today it's 9 degrees not freezing, I just wonder what your thoughts are? New battery needed?, alternator? or just a one off thing due to the cold... seems a bit odd to be I'm just hoping it isn't the alternator as I guess this is a big expense?

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Your short journeys really won't be helping the battery. You'll not be getting much charge back into it, take it out for a long drive once a week (Which is what you should be doing anyways, who buys an ST for a 3 mile commute!?) and it'll be right as rain!

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,585 Posts
I'd go with Martin's views.
Your journeys are too short to properly recharge the battery.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I maybe haven't written that well, not all my journeys are 2-3 miles, theres plenty of longer drives in there too and the car is used every day so isn't left standing more than maybe one day a week.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i do twice your mileage on a daily basis and the other night my alternator decided it was time we parted company and i had no previous problems with battery or carging just a loud noise from the alternator one night and then it went the same night

·
Registered
647 Posts
its still at work will be done monday the alternator is £189 + vat for a ford motorcraft one and £30 for the belts plus fitting mines under warranty so im just glad i took it out but those prices aren't too bad tbh

·
Registered
152 Posts
No I

No sadly I haven't got anything like that.
There's a hidden menu and one if the options is to show the voltage, google Ford Focus hidden menu for full details.

Quick guide:

1. Hold the trip button on the end of the indicator stalk with keys out
2. Turn on the ignition and start car with button pressed
3. Wait for diagnostic mode
4. Use the trip button to work through the options until you get to voltage

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The on dash voltmeter will tell you if the alternator is working OK, should read over 14 volts with the engine running.

Take the car to a decent garage and get a load test done on the battery.

·
Half Pint
238 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their battery due to the cold etc?

My car is a 2007 and I assume its on it's original battery, I've had it since May and had no problems at all! I mainly do local mileage to and from work (only 2-3 miles away), although occasionally do go a bit further a field. On the last few cold start ups when it's been freezing I noticed for the first 10-15 seconds a whining noise, but that went away and didn't do it after initial start up, yesterday I went out and drove a few miles to a friends house, turned the engine off but then tried to start it about 5 minutes later, there was absolutely nothing the car was totally dead, I immediately thought about the whining noise I'd heard and wondered if it was the alternator that had gone, but a few minutes later I managed to start the car although it was a sluggish start.

I drove a decent distance yesterday after that (about 30 miles), parked the car up over night and went back to it this morning, it started absolutely fine, but today it's 9 degrees not freezing, I just wonder what your thoughts are? New battery needed?, alternator? or just a one off thing due to the cold... seems a bit odd to be I'm just hoping it isn't the alternator as I guess this is a big expense?
Alrite Jim.

I have a 57 plate and the car failed to start during the cold weather we had a couple of days back.
The central locking didn't even work. Had to use the key to get in. Wouldn't turn over and the alarm red flashing light on the dash was on.
Had no indication or fault with it before it completely failed.

Fault was with the battery. Totally shot. Had a new one fitted and they also tested the alternator to make sure that was ok.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just had my alternator and aux belts done a few weeks ago. £477. Apparently the alternator is a nightmare to do, and I always promised myself I wouldnt do another one after swapping one in a GTO a few years back so my local garage were only too happy to take my money

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just had my alternator and aux belts done a few weeks ago. £477. Apparently the alternator is a nightmare to do, and I always promised myself I wouldnt do another one after swapping one in a GTO a few years back so my local garage were only too happy to take my money
477 quid?! Ouch!
Hope it's not that then. I've not had the problem since so we'll wait and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,226 Posts
I paid around £350 at a Ford dealer when my one went. Prices will vary and it is worth shopping around. Profile used to be the cheapest as they found a way of getting the unit out without having to take everything off the engine so if you are within reach of collins it might be worth speaking to Wolfman.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I paid around £350 at a Ford dealer when my one went. Prices will vary and it is worth shopping around. Profile used to be the cheapest as they found a way of getting the unit out without having to take everything off the engine so if you are within reach of collins it might be worth speaking to Wolfman.
Ah right thanks for that. Well so far no more false starts, I have noticed a slight squeak when say idling at traffic lights though and its not me going mad, so maybe something is starting to fail...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts