Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've a 67 plate hatch with std stereo set up.
I am looking to improve the bass but not wanting to change too much.
Thinking about an underseat sub, but not sure about the wiring. I'm pretty handy with that sort of thing if I have an idiot's guide to follow.
What are the thoughts on the std speakers, is it worth upgrading them without spending a fortune?

Not looking to rattle my fillings, just improve the sound and bass.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,680 Posts
If you don't have the premium stereo with the sub in the boot, which I'm guessing you don't, then there's nothing to connect your sub to which is already supplied. You could take a feed from the rear speakers using a crossover, or maybe look into buying the speakers, sub and sub wiring loom from the premium system. I had the premium option in all of my Mk3s and the sub wasn't invasive and made the sound fuller.

If you upgrade the standard speakers you might want to look into some sound deadending/insulation around them as they tend to rattle the doors after a certain volume level.

I'm not madly into ICE upgrades, but there are plenty on here who are. Have you checked in the ICE section?

Reactions: WayneST-2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't have the premium stereo with the sub in the boot, which I'm guessing you don't, then there's nothing to connect your sub to which is already supplied. You could take a feed from the rear speakers using a crossover, or maybe look into buying the speakers, sub and sub wiring loom from the premium system. I had the premium option in all of my Mk3s and the sub wasn't invasive and made the sound fuller.

If you upgrade the standard speakers you might want to look into some sound deadending/insulation around them as they tend to rattle the doors after a certain volume level.

I'm not madly into ICE upgrades, but there are plenty on here who are. Have you checked in the ICE section?
Hi, yes I did look, some were advising the under seat option. Some seemed to be trying to compete with a nightclub.
I'll have a look for a look then thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I’d definitely go for some sound deadening in the doors as already mentioned. I’ve a mk3.5 too and have sound deadened the doors and fitted alpine components in the front and alpine two ways in the rear - this has improved things no end, but obviously it’s down to your ear and how far you want to go! The standard speakers are built to a cost so any decent upgrades will be a step forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts