Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell what bandwidth each wireless device in our house is using?

I'm convinced my parent's laptop has some kind of virus or something and is using all the bandwidth.

Without their laptop turned on the ping response is 78ms, with a download speed of 3.5mb/s.

When their laptop is turned on, the ping response goes up to 900ms with a download speed of 0.7mb/s.

Is there an app which i can download which will show the usage of each device once they're all turned on?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
Windows task manager will tell you that - right click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen and select 'Start task manager'. then select the networking tab.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
On the suspicious laptop, or any of them?
To be fair, at the minute, there are..... about 10 wireless devices in the house.
But it's only two more than normal (as my bro is home from uni).

Been doing it for about 3 days though.
On the suspicious device - it will tell you how active the network interfaces are. There should be minimal activity if you're not doing anything on it.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Within minutes of posting this, the speed has gone up to normal.

Bet they've turned it off though

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Shouldn't make anything slow. All it does is equalise the bandwidth between all devices currently requesting Traffic. It will only.make things slow if you all have very low MTU rates and have altered the receive buffers using something like TCP optimizer

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a look at the MTU rate. Was set to 1472, whereas most things appear to say Sky should be 1500.

I can't see anything which suggests Sky routers have QOS which is a shame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts