Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have got some rattles on the back seat panels. The rattle stops when you put your hand on the panel. Has anyone ever had this problem before? Any tips of removal of these panels?

My car is facelift 3dr.

Thanks alot for any help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Having difficulty locating where the actual rattle comes from tbh I removed the dark grey strip first pops off easy but needs glueing back on. Removed a few other bits easily but still no joy locating or fixing it and its really getting annoying now lol

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How hard is it to remove? What have you tried to fix it?
Ive got the same problem, its the passenger rear. Gonna try this weekend putting a wee bit of cardboard down and hide it to pull the plastic out ever so slightly. Hopefully that cures it.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I've got the same rattle/squeek. Rear passenger panel. You can put your hand on the panel and it stops. Haven't had chance to have a real good look yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I got the wife to sit in the back while driving , she put her hand on the panels to locate the rattle, mine seemed to be at the top.

Then I got some strips of number plate tape and laid it along so half was still showing and the other behind , keep adding strips on top of each other building it up until you have to force the last layer in .

When you have got the last layer in , it should be nice and tight , then nice sharp Stanley knife and trim the showing portion away .
You will still see the foam but as its black no one will notice unless you point it out ,but the rattle will be gone

Worked for me , hope this helps

This was on my last mk2 , before someone says not on a mk3

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the wife to sit in the back while driving , she put her hand on the panels to locate the rattle, mine seemed to be at the top.

Then I got some strips of number plate tape and laid it along so half was still showing and the other behind , keep adding strips on top of each other building it up until you have to force the last layer in .

When you have got the last layer in , it should be nice and tight , then nice sharp Stanley knife and trim the showing portion away .
You will still see the foam but as its black no one will notice unless you point it out ,but the rattle will be gone

Did you remove the panel to do this? Where did you apply it to on the panel?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
535 Posts

Thanks for your help.
No didn't remove them , there is a bit of a gap at the top of the panel you can get the foam in along this gap
Left to right

You don't apply to the panel , put it on the bodywork ,build the. Layers up like I said then the panel will rest on the foam

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hello, had alittle go trying to fix it with your method. Could show me on a picture where you applied the tape. Also has anyone know how to remove the panel?

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Steering part Car Vehicle Fixture Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior Automotive tire Vehicle door

Thanks alot,

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Dynomat the back of the panel would be my advice, I have been tempted to try it on our lasses but never got around to it, as I know as soon as I sort that one I will hear another one

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dynomat the back of the panel would be my advice, I have been tempted to try it on our lasses but never got around to it, as I know as soon as I sort that one I will hear another one
May look into this in the new year. I have a ford panel removal tool but could do with a guide how to do it. The Haynes manual does not seem to cover the 3dr. Part of me things just turn the stereo up but the sound, but the sound does really annoy me. Sometimes the sound of the 5 pot is just to good to not hear.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNAMAT-XTREME-WEDGE-PACK-SOUND-DEADENING-KIT-81-20-x-45-70-cm-BRAND-NEW-/350644668541?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D181026066668%26ps%3D54

·
Registered
224 Posts
Think I've sorted my temporarily just by ramming some foam behind the panels where the join is seems to have done the trick for now

·
Registered
535 Posts

Thanks for your help.

Place lengths of rubber foam as I suggested before behind the panel between the red arrows ,
Stick the foam 1 layer at time building the layers up until the last layer is tight behind the panel , the edge of the panel should now be in the foam , trim off the excess

The foam will stop the vibration and rattles

No I didn't remove it ,

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Place lengths of rubber foam as I suggested before behind the panel between the red arrows ,
Stick the foam 1 layer at time building the layers up until the last layer is tight behind the panel , the edge of the panel should now be in the foam , trim off the excess

The foam will stop the vibration and rattles

No I didn't remove it ,
Thank you so much for that guide. Will give it ago tommorow. Thanks merry Xmas to you.

Tom

·
Registered
444 Posts
Are u sure its the side mouldings and not the parcel shelf ?
Defo NOT the parcel shelf, just did a 140 mile journey with no shelf in (left it at home) and it was doing it a lot

What's this rubber foam people are using? Where do you get it?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
i only mentioned it as mine had an annoying noise coming from what i thought was the rear quarter pannels, turned out was the parcel shelf where it meets the side brackets on the bit that slopes towards the boot..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts