Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above....ive noticed that in lower gears the front end of the car will hop when accelerating hard. Does anyone know how to reduce this? Ive got a quaife atb and eagle f1 tyres, Ive considered a front poly bush kit?

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 3 Jan 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As above....ive noticed that in lower gears the front end of the car will hop when accelerating hard. Does anyone know how to reduce this? Ive got a quaife atb and eagle f1 tyres, Ive considered a front poly bush kit?

Cheers, Paul

Dont wheelspin?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 3 Jan 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont wheelspin?

Its nothing to do with wheels spin, im not doin chavy starts lol. I believe its the pulses from the engine (each piston firing) that causes the wheels to temporarily loose grip and spin a little bit before getting traction again. I dont think my pradas were as bad as the eagles and think a stiffer front set up would help. How did your bushes help?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 3 Jan 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its nothing to do with wheels spin, im not doin chavy starts lol. I believe its the pulses from the engine (each piston firing) that causes the wheels to temporarily loose grip and spin a little bit before getting traction again. I dont think my pradas were as bad as the eagles and think a stiffer front set up would help. How did your bushes help?

The bushes have really tightened up the front end but will not help with what you are experiencing! Axel tramp is the wrong term to use as this is something you get in a rear wheel drive car with a solid axel! Its caused, i believe, by the axel rotating slightly under torque then snapping back into place or leaf springs deforming and reforming! What you are feeling is the wheel spinning then gripping again and happens on all front wheel drives! My Peugot Partner van does it really badly! As the tyre bites it tends to jump forward and also compress the suspension which then springs back launching the car upwards!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yip i've felt this, so i feather the throttle just enough to reduce it and gain grip back. I had the same problem with wheel hop on my octavia vrs and a new engine to gearbox mount (dog bone bush mount) reduced it considerably but frt drive cars will always have this problem with more power there kicking out nowadays. Maybe upgrade shocks aswell as may reduce it even more.

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
You are also experiencing the effect of torque steer, thrown in with deformation of the standard lower front locating bushes.

As has been said earlier replacing those front bushes with Powerflex examples will help, you should then consider that any widening of the front track will increase torque steer and its effects, that may be as a result of fitting spacers to widen the track or indeed a thicker centre bell from some big brake kits, needed to gain caliper clearance with standard wheels.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(don kalmar union @ 4 Jan 2010, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You are also experiencing the effect of torque steer, thrown in with deformation of the standard lower front locating bushes.

As has been said earlier replacing those front bushes with Powerflex examples will help, you should then consider that any widening of the front track will increase torque steer and its effects, that may be as a result of fitting spacers to widen the track or indeed a thicker centre bell from some big brake kits, needed to gain caliper clearance with standard wheels.

Regards, Don.

Not sure which bushes you mean Don but if its the largest oil filled ones then that might well be the problem! When Gary replaced mine with the Powerflex ones one of them had punctured and lost all the oil! Its not the first time ive heard of this happening either! Having said that i hadnt noticed any extra wheel hop although i dont really do hard launches! Since fitting the Powerflex kit and the AP brakes (which run the 15mm spacers) its not really been dry enough to check any of this out but as soon as the weather improves ill have a play and post up my findings!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok after driving round in the snow ive decided that sonething is definately wrong with my car. It hops around at 2-5 mph, getting grip then loosing it again. The dash is about to break free and all sorts of things are beginning to rattle in the engine bay
Every other car ive driven recently will just spin the wheels in the snow but mine is having loads of trouble with keeping it smooth......help?!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Tall-Paul @ 6 Jan 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ok after driving round in the snow ive decided that sonething is definately wrong with my car. It hops around at 2-5 mph, getting grip then loosing it again. The dash is about to break free and all sorts of things are beginning to rattle in the engine bay
Every other car ive driven recently will just spin the wheels in the snow but mine is having loads of trouble with keeping it smooth......help?!

Knackered CV joints? Mine went at 25000 miles!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Well to fully stop what your describing your going to have to go for something very custom. You can fit compression struts which clamps the strut to the rear of the wheel arch on the sill. though this will be so much work to do as youll need alll custom parts to fit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 7 Jan 2010, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well to fully stop what your describing your going to have to go for something very custom. You can fit compression struts which clamps the strut to the rear of the wheel arch on the sill. though this will be so much work to do as youll need alll custom parts to fit.

Is that anything you could help with?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 8 Jan 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We could prob so something, but i wouldnt do it to a customers car until ive tried it on my own. Tbh the suspension setup i have on my car at the moment is all you could ever want from the st.

Whats that then? Think i need to get mine sorted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.