Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Got a slight issue with my xenons, I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light?
For a couple of weeks now, I've noticed the xenons are aiming slightly too high, to the point they are shining on and lighting up the road signs, they self adjust perfectly fine when i first turn them on.
Yesterday, although probably not related, I washed the car and then this morning, the lights maintained the correct level fine for 100 miles, until I stopped, then tonight, same thing happens again, lights start to aim high, I don't know if it's just the N/S or both, but I haven't had any body flashing me, so hopefully not blinding anyone!
Does anyone have any ideas on things I can look at please?

Cheers all

·
Premium Member
Chris - Mk2 ST XRS
1,132 Posts
When the front level sensor bar came adrift on my car it caused similar issues. If the arm on the sensor can move freely it only takes a bump - or jet of water perhaps - to cause the headlights to adjust accordingly.

When rectified the proper way to readjust is first to run the "headlight calibration procedure" in IDS or Forscan (sets auto adjusters in headlights to zero position relative to current sensor input) then adjusting manually if required with the aid of a beamsetter (I made do with a wall and trial and error.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all
Only just managed to look at the car this weekend.

I checked both sensors and they both seems to be in tact.
Does anyone know which sensor does what job?
Is the rear one just to adjust if you have weight in the back?

when driving, with the headlamp that aims too high, it looks as though the light is flickering, not sure if it's just the vibrations from driving, but I'm unsure.
Did a long journey on Monday and on a couple of occasions the headlamps seems to be levelled correctly, so unsure if it's a faulty sensor or wiring, I haven't checked the wiring yet, but I did try to check the front one on the weekend but struggled to removed the sensor from the bracket.

im going to remove the sensor arms and move them manually and see if they adjust the lights or not, does anyone know anything else to try?

After that, I'll try plugging it in to for scan and see what happens there too.

cheers all

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,837 Posts
I've never seen a functional description of the system and in particular how the two sensors interact with each other.
It may be as simple as the rear one dealing with "nose up" and the front with "nose down" but that's just a guess.
What you suggest (disconnecting arms and moving the sensor(s) manually) is a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts