Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife now trying to find a new car (I did state matching RS was a no-no)

The Scooby STI is rudddy fast but ****pit build is well very average, and ladies like the build of the Audi.

In terms of performance as I will be on her insurance which one is best in the long run. The 300Bhp STI is a real best and has slingshot aceleration which sounds like fun, but the audi I guess is nearly as fast as does 35mpg.

I have to make a recomendation to her as she can't decicde between power v quality.

If she gets the Sti I have no chance in the RS (STI does 0-60 in 4.8 secs, and the mid range 30-70 in 4.4).

She only does about 7k a year, through maybe the STI is too fast for the public road?

any views guys ?

Discounted prices I've secured, both new cars

Audi S3 = £26,400 (discounted from 28k)
Scoobty STi = £24k (dis****ed from £26,500)

after 3 years the audi is worth more

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I think you have talked yourself into the Audi, after all as you said you don't want the misses
creaming you in the scooby
, plus the differance in fuel is mahoosive

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Audi all the way ,lovely car and as you say worth more in three years time !
the Audi has a nice build quality aswell as nice interior ...no choice for me ...Audi ...simples !

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It would be the Audi everytime for me, its ok having the power there but in the UK you cant put your foot down every where and you'd be a lot more comfortable and go nearly as quick in the S3. There's no comparison in looks either, I think the new scooby is Fugly and the Audi, well its an Audi, just looks that little bit classier than anything else in its category.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Id say the Audi only because they look nicer than the Subaru, if it was an old school Subaru i'd go for that, as the Audi is just common. But the new Subaru is just Fugly.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
QUOTE(vladSTer @ 19 Nov 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>new STI is pants to drive, i'd get the S3. It is better built too.

No its not. Ive had one once you get a feel for the light steering its all good + they are a lot smarter than the older scoob's

S3 is boring in standard form but a remap can see 330bhp and would totally change the car

German over the Jap all day long if it mainly going to be used as a day to day car rather than a track slag.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(Jimothy @ 19 Nov 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>German over the Jap all day long if it mainly going to be used as a day to day car rather than a track slag.
Start tracking an Impreza and they turn into money pits. They're fine to live with everyday, running costs are fairly normal if used to juicy cars. I'd probably side with an S3 for an everyday, quick, practical car.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
QUOTE(Jimothy @ 19 Nov 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No its not. Ive had one once you get a feel for the light steering its all good + they are a lot smarter than the older scoob's

S3 is boring in standard form but a remap can see 330bhp and would totally change the car

German over the Jap all day long if it mainly going to be used as a day to day car rather than a track slag.

Dunno Jim, I didn't like it a slightest. Engine sounds like broken tumble drier, gutless before 3k rpm, understeers a lot more then you'd expect, rolls about like a barge, xbox steering feel, it also feels heavy somehow (in sharpest setting), brakes were dodgy for sports car (a lot worse then APs on focus). Not all negatives though, interior is cheap, but pleasant, gearbox is nice, driving position is excellent, despite the roll ride quality is great.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
QUOTE(vladSTer @ 19 Nov 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dunno Jim, I didn't like it a slightest. Engine sounds like broken tumble drier, gutless before 3k rpm, understeers a lot more then you'd expect, rolls about like a barge, xbox steering feel, it also feels heavy somehow (in sharpest setting), brakes were dodgy for sports car (a lot worse then APs on focus). Not all negatives though, interior is cheap, but pleasant, gearbox is nice, driving position is excellent, despite the roll ride quality is great.

Wouldn't know about the engine being gutless mine went pop after 90 miles

Mine had the prodrive kit inc suspension so it was spot on

Never had the problem with the brakes, handling or being gutless standard Sti must be a right shed

One thing i learnt owning it is i would never have another jap car.

For an every day car the my08 scooby was a pleasure when it was working

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many moons ago before wedding, I had a Stiv5 running 300bhp and it never missed a beat. My GF at the time (now wife) loved it. Hence I thnk why she is considering one.

I agree with the posts, the Audi is a better everyday proposition. Car dealers are bending over backwards to sell cars at the moment so its a good time to get her a new roundabout. The alloys on her present car are unmarked, hence I think the audi alloys will be safe.

I would say the same thing about the Ford, for commuting I think the ST is better suited than the RS due to tyre wear and ride quality. and the fact a low mile RS would depreciate less than a low mileage ST

Thanks everyone for the contributions.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(ForeverYoung @ 19 Nov 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The wife now trying to find a new car (I did state matching RS was a no-no)

The Scooby STI is rudddy fast but ****pit build is well very average, and ladies like the build of the Audi.

In terms of performance as I will be on her insurance which one is best in the long run. The 300Bhp STI is a real best and has slingshot aceleration which sounds like fun, but the audi I guess is nearly as fast as does 35mpg.

I have to make a recomendation to her as she can't decicde between power v quality.

If she gets the Sti I have no chance in the RS (STI does 0-60 in 4.8 secs, and the mid range 30-70 in 4.4).

She only does about 7k a year, through maybe the STI is too fast for the public road?

any views guys ?

Discounted prices I've secured, both new cars

Audi S3 = £26,400 (discounted from 28k)
Scoobty STi = £24k (dis****ed from £26,500)

after 3 years the audi is worth more
Audi if was me mate just got rid off a scoobs,
lovely cars just to much for a day to day car for me,
also the audi is asking you ant it

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
S3 is boring and relying on the badge.

The subaru is different but no boot

If you do not need the boot go fo rthe subaru, if you do find someting else not an S3...snore!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Having driven an S3 i can say its a very very comfortbale car. Audi all the way unless you want a burberry cap with your Subaru sir? or they standard from the dealer now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Think you must be referring to the old Subaru.
The new hatchback one released in 2007 has a boot that's the same size or bigger than the Focus ST.

For those who want some figure :

0-60 in 4.7-4.8 seconds
30-70 in 4.4 seconds
0-100 in 12.3 seconds

and then there is a prodrive pack to add (30 bhp)
0-60 in 4.4 seconds
30-70 in 3.9 seconds
0-100 in 11.8 seconds

Scooby Sti Dull car you think?, insurance is so expensive that only grey haired men can afford to drive them. But they are near supercar performance. The hatch is much better looking and Subaru has returned to being an exclusive low volume brand which should help residuals.

Don't mock the Audi its a fast car, more a mega hatch than the warm hatches that try and complete against it; people keep mentioning it (including ford) so it must be a benchmark.
Ok there is a bit of snobbery about Audi as many (partly wrongly) perceive only white-collar office based professional who are university educated folks can afford to buy them, they are still very well engineered. The badge means you pay more for engineering. No car manufacturer today would survive living off past glory days and I don't think VAG or anyone else are that stupid.

Ford are good, I will never mock them. We should respect other brands. The best car is the best car for you. I don't believe there is a car made that's perfect and ticks every box in the end we all compromise and just enjoy what we can afford.

With a young familiy my budget was 26k so its a Focus RS, as much as I would love an Audi S4 I can't justify the cost with a 30% pay cut my company forced on all staff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts