Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into changing my k&n gen2 cais for either a AS one or a Simota closed style one.
The Simota cais is £50 cheaper than the AS one and looks very very similar to me
has anyone got any experience of either to help me decide where my money is best spent?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I prefer the look of the AS one (although they are both similar).

However, the Simota is a better buy at about 25% cheaper!

I guess one difference could be what filter is used inside?
I'd pay extra is the AS used a "well known" filter.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any idea which filter is used in the AS one bud? Is it k&n, cone filter etc?!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Do you have any idea which filter is used in the AS one bud? Is it k&n, cone filter etc?!
It's a K&N style filter but I don't know the actual make off it

From the AS site..... "1x CAIS Satin Black canister with Gloss Black Top, CNC billet pipe flange fitting and Red cotton conical style filtter Element."

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Simota 'developed' a filter for one of my cars, to say they did not have a clue would be an understatement, I had to take out the standard filter point them in the direction of how the filter should fit, they made a supposed prototype and ran it on the rollers and it showed a huge power gain, 'due to their filter', despite the fact it was not even connected to the throttle body (I also wonder if they helped the rollers show an increase, it is not hard to do). Then they left me to put my car back together after they broke the cable for my speed sensor. Their filter seemed very low budget, it seemed to look like a cheap copy of a BMC CDA from the outside, no idea what actual filter they use but I expect it is an off the shelf item. I never heard anything else form them (they were supposed to give me a finished filter for my trouble) but they never listed/make one in the end for the car, I can only assume because they were having difficulty working out where to run the feeds, mount the filter etc? Despite their difficulties , it did not stop me from doing it in an afternoon (I am a pen pusher and have minimal equipment, socket set, dremel, and a hammer, and no fabrication or mechanical skills to speak of). SO my advice do not bother with a simota.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I changed to the AS one from DS CAIS and its a great solid tidy bit of kit. The filter is huge although I can't tell you if its k&n etc. I'm happy with it! I got the stainless steel top pipe too it looks lovely.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am looking into changing my k&n gen2 cais for either a AS one or a Simota closed style one.
The Simota cais is £50 cheaper than the AS one and looks very very similar to me
has anyone got any experience of either to help me decide where my money is best spent?
Thanks in advance
would you be selling your gen2?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts