Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave the ST its first proper clean since it's stopped snowing and the alloys seem to have had a rough time over winter.

Usually I clean the wheels with the same water I use on the car after I've finished, it seems OK at getting the brake dust off but I doesn't seem to have any affect on getting this off, it looks worryingly like corrosion

What can I do to clean up these wheels and protect them in the future?

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Start off with some tar remover, then some old clay bar (you can use new stuff but don't use it on the body afterwards), then polish and then seal.

You can get a scourer type pad thing on a stick form halfords, (they are not as bad/harsh as they look) that also helps

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
if you use a strong wheel cleaner it should remove it, i use 'bilbery' wheel cleaner, its non acidic so it doesn't cause any damage if you use it neat or lightly concentrated and let it soak on for a few minutes it should come off after a few goes
also rub them with some sort of brush...an old tooth brush will do lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to get some proper wheel cleaning solution on there then. I didn't think about using a clay bar to get it off.

When you say polish and seal, what should I be using? I've got some carlack (i think?) and some colinite 475 wax. Can I use any of these or as with the bilbery cleaner is there a specific wheel sealant?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
personally i used to just use a normal polish and wax like you would on a car with a couple of coats of wax, that seemed to do the job and all the muc/ brake dust used to just run off when washed down with water, other people may have different methods though

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Elbow grease will take those off but as mentioned above a good wheel cleaner and a bit of time will have them shiny again ... I use turtle wax nano tex wheel wax ( think that's what it's called ) this repels the brake dust for a while but also does a good job of cleaning them when applied ...ive also used auto glym srp and egp in the past

·
Registered
148 Posts
if you use a strong wheel cleaner it should remove it, i use 'bilbery' wheel cleaner, its non acidic so it doesn't cause any damage if you use it neat or lightly concentrated and let it soak on for a few minutes it should come off after a few goes
also rub them with some sort of brush...an old tooth brush will do lol
What he said!

Bilberry wheel cleaner is the business! Also, get an Eze Detailer, this makes wheel cleaning so much easier. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush/prod_480.html

·
Registered
976 Posts
Let us know how you get on.

Mine is like that on the outside and the inside is much worse. Tried bilberry but it doesnt shift it. Even white spirit doesnt work
Damn previous owner!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Let us know how you get on.

Mine is like that on the outside and the inside is much worse. Tried bilberry but it doesnt shift it. Even white spirit doesnt work
Damn previous owner!
Get some wonderwheels and a nail brush, I would not recomend you do this often but if they are rough to start with it is worth a go

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I'm going to be putting an order in this week for some wheel cleaning products, I hope the weather is good next weekend so I can get the wheels sorted

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bilberry first and leave to work - followed by a little elbow grease. Polish up and seal as per everyone elses recommendation. I personally use Jet Seal 109 on my alloys as it seems to last longer than others.

If that doesn't work to get it off, then try get hold of some Autosmart Tardis (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis-cat6.html) - though don't leave it on for long (about a minute) - but this will remove any firmly stuck tar / brake dust that is left on the wheel. I use Tardis to remove the nasty tar spots on vehicles that haven't been washed for a long time, before rinsing / washing the vehicle once I've wiped the offending spots away and then claying.

You'll notice it work as the spots start to 'run' from the stuff taking it off the wheel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

I know this is turning into a detailing thread but just an update to show you all the results with the bilberry cleaner and some elbow grease with the Eze Detailer brush.

I was a little unsure about how long to leave the solution on for neat so ended up doing them twice, first time round got loads of general grime off the wheels then second time I could concentrate on the tough parts.

I've got 95% off now I just need to get a smaller stuff brush to get right into the small arches. In the end I got some poor boys wheel sealant which I hope will avoid a buildup of this level in future

Thanks for all the help with product suggestions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts