Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have got it down to 2 both 07 but there is a price difference of £1,200 and 50k more miles and I am weighing up if it will be money well spent going for the more expensive one with less miles.

I have driven one and it was great but they have not kept to the 12.5 servicing regime and it is more like 18-19k inbetween servicing.

Any help much appreciated as this will be my first ST

Cheers
Ziggy

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(ziggy @ 1 Feb 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys,

I have got it down to 2 both 07 but there is a price difference of £1,200 and 50k more miles and I am weighing up if it will be money well spent going for the more expensive one with less miles.

I have driven one and it was great but they have not kept to the 12.5 servicing regime and it is more like 18-19k inbetween servicing.

Any help much appreciated as this will be my first ST

Cheers
Ziggy

i would go for the low milage one especially if they have not kept to the service intervals , mine is serviced every 5000-6000miles or every 6 months just to make sure

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd avoid the higher mileage one if I were you. Made worse by the fact that they haven't kept to the service schedule - warranty voided, what else have the previous owner scrimped on? Cars like these need to be well looked after.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hi Ziggy and
to the club.
I would suggest that the service schedules are very important for any car so to effictively to do 1.5 times the serivce schedule is sacrilege!
There are plenty on the market so take your time and try to resist the urge to buy now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 1 Feb 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i would go for the low milage one especially if they have not kept to the service intervals , mine is serviced every 5000-6000miles or every 6 months just to make sure

+1

50k higher mileage is reflected in the price difference. I assume wer're talking 20k and 70k on the respective cars. Personally I wouldn't touch the higher mileage car, especially as the correct service intervals haven't been maintained. IMO it would be a false economy to buy the cheaper car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've just been on to "What Car" to do valuations on a 2007 ST3. Car with 20k came up at £11855 and the same with 70k valued at £8330 (both dealer prices). Whilst we might dispute these valuations it was just to give an idea on what difference the mileage makes to the value.
Therefore, the price difference between the 2 cars you are looking at shoukd be over £3000, not £1200.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
if you've looked around a lot and really really have narrowed it down to those two then definitely go for the lower mileage one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 1 Feb 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you've looked around a lot and really really have narrowed it down to those two then definitely go for the lower mileage one.

Really appreciate the advise from everyone on here. Fantastic site

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The ST is fine with higher mileages, however I too would be concerned about the fact that the service schedule has not been adhered to. I would go with the lower mileage one for that reason.

There are cars on here that have comfortably done 70-100k miles, the difference is that they'll have been regularly serviced and looked after. As others have mentioned, if the service intervals have been ignored, what else has been scrimped on or left out?

I fear we may see more and more of these sorts of cars as the average age of owners drops and they encounter the higher running costs, eg. fuel, tyres etc.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 2 Feb 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I fear we may see more and more of these sorts of cars as the average age of owners drops and they encounter the higher running costs, eg. fuel, tyres etc.
Ironically the actual servicing is the cheapest part of running the Focus.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
1200 quid is nothing when comparing 40K miles difference!! Definately go for the lower one (unless thats the one with the skipped services!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts