Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a big splash of petrol in my eye, and over my face... I wear glasses, which stopped most of it and washed it out straight away, spent 20 mins washing it with tap water, and water from a first aid kit.

The skin under my eye is stinging.... is this something to be worried about? Should i go to A and E?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Only one answer Im afraid and thats go to A&E as soon as.

The fact thats its still stinging would concern me If I was in your position...it will no doubt turn out to be fine but let the medical experts decide that.

Good luck

Nick

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke to the NHS direct people... basically, assuming the eye itself is OK, then give it another flush with tap water,

She said she wasn't overlly concerned with the skin below the eye - keep an eye on it. And use moisturiser on the skin.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Ocular exposure©
• Remove patient from exposure.
• Remove contact lenses if necessary and immediately irrigate the affected eye
thoroughly with water or 0.9% saline for at least 10-15 minutes.
• Patients with corneal damage or those whose symptoms do not resolve rapidly
should be referred for urgent ophthalmological assessment

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(on break form Irrigation)

The eye itself feels fine (mainly thanks to my glasses), and according to NHS it's the right colour,

The issue is with the skin below my eye - as in, from the bottom of my glasses to my eye...
Thanks for all the comments people, honestly truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The burning sensation from petrol is a killer.

I have had petrol on my face and in my eyes plenty times, as long as you wash it out with plenty water, the stinging usually goes after an hour or so. it will look red for ages though.

I went to the hospital once and was told to keep it clean and given some drops.

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
I do hope you are alright now you were getting professional experienced help there from Allan ..... !!

it wasn't just his opinion he is qualified !!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
i got gloss paint in my eye once ,and had to clean it out with white spirit
after cleaning it out for about half an hour, i carried on with my painting only to be stung by a wasp on the same eye

what a day that was

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
QUOTE(jonn @ 17 Nov 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i got gloss paint in my eye once ,and had to clean it out with white spirit
after cleaning it out for about half an hour, i carried on with my painting only to be stung by a wasp on the same eye

what a day that was

You cleaned your eye with white spirit??? you are joking right?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
QUOTE(morty1970 @ 19 Nov 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You cleaned your eye with white spirit??? you are joking right?

southerners.

I once got uranium in my eye and cleaned it out using a mixture of bleach and sandpaper.

Never did me any harm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts