Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

There is a problem concerning PS3 (the non slim ones) where if you switch it on, your PS3 won't connect to the network and won't be able to get your trophies and game progress etc. Some PS3 owners have said their game data files have become corrupt and have lost all their game progress and will have to start all over again.

Sony are working on a fix.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...-PSN-error.html

Not sure it this has already been posted but thought i'd let y'all know

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Ahh that exaplins why my PS3 was playing up early this morning!
Thought my router was playing up again

Thanks for the info

Edit: So does that mean my PS3 is now a nice shiney brick??!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend switched his on today and got a fault code and the game wouldn't play.

By doing this he thinks he has lost all his game data. All his CAD MW2 data has dissappeared, all his guns, progress and trophies! At list i may have a chance of beating now!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Mine's just done this.

Luckily I rarely use it for gaming, just as a media centre. I'm sure Sony will fix it asap.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Surely we're all going to have to switch on at some point - even if it is to install an update which fixes the problem?

Screw it.

I'm going upstairs to switch on.

Wish me luck - I'm going in.........

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely we're all going to have to switch on at some point - even if it is to install an update which fixes the problem?

Screw it.

The Force is strong with this one

·
Registered
824 Posts
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely we're all going to have to switch on at some point - even if it is to install an update which fixes the problem?

Screw it.

I'll cover your back... tell me when its safe to follow

·
Registered
222 Posts
QUOTE(Mick @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely if you don't connect to the PSN until Sony fix the problem all will be fine?

It's the internal clock which maybe at fault. Even if you switch off the router the problem will still be there

Hang on a minute.........No COD tonight........What else is there to do? The girlfriend is gonna want to talk and watch GLEE! AAHHHHHH i'm off to buy an Xbox!!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(Mick @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely if you don't connect to the PSN until Sony fix the problem all will be fine?
When you turn it on, the date is wrong. This screws with the save games and such which then think they don't yet exist.

I've set the date manually on mine but can't sign into PSN. A couple of games won't launch, and I'd guess this is the issue with having games that have to 'validate' or 'check' with the 'net before allowing them to start. Without internet/PSN access, you can't play your expensive console!

As long as I can watch my TV shows and films on it, I'm happy. I still have iPlayer too.

·
3,942 Posts
I believe the appropriate phrase rhymes with "clucking bell".

EDIT > As Gav says, setting the date/time manually makes little difference - you still can't sign into PSN. COD MW2 seemed to recognise all my save data, but was unable to register the "trophy" information (probably because the date was all screwy), and so the game exited. I even tried to be clever and set the date/time to yesterday to see if that worked - it didn't.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Just rang one of my house mates up, apparently the game saves are still there (Not sure about trophies)
He has set the clock,
but sounds like the same situation that Gav is in.
Locked out of PSN.

FFS

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe the appropriate phrase rhymes with "clucking bell".

EDIT > As Gav says, setting the date/time manually makes little difference - you still can't sign into PSN. COD MW2 seemed to recognise all my save data, but was unable to register the "trophy" information (probably because the date was all screwy), and so the game exited. I even tried to be clever and set the date/time to yesterday to see if that worked - it didn't.
And therein lies the problem with not giving the game an 'offline' mode. A lot of people are very
at Sony right now. Update thread here:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Pla...F/td-p/10303803

From someone cleverer than me:

What I guess is happening is that the hardware real-time clock is passing a date to the hypervisor, which is converting it into GMT. There may be a bug in this conversion code. This is then sending it to the operating system clock, which knows fine well that the 29/2/2010 is an invalid date, so it panics and resets itself to 31/12/1999. This date is what is being sent to the PSN leading to an authentication failure (the dates don't tally) and quite possibly what some games are using for trophy info (ie if you've unlocked trophies on 28/2/2010 but the game starts up on 31/12/1999, something is wrong somewhere and it might think it's trying to be hacked, so gives the authentication error that people are seeing).

A firmware fix will solve it, but sorting out lost trophies etc will be more of a pain.

ETA: Actually, I don't think a firmware fix is needed. I think the core clock will tick over to '1st March 2010' tomorrow morning and things can right themselves from there, including patching once people are back on PSN. It's only because the clock's looking for a date that doesn't exist (29th Feb 2010).

If it's more complex than that, Sony could be looking at a recall which makes the RROD look like the teddy bears' picnic.

·
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And therein lies the problem with not giving the game an 'offline' mode. A lot of people are very
at Sony right now.

From someone cleverer than me:

What I guess is happening is that the hardware real-time clock is passing a date to the hypervisor, which is converting it into GMT. There may be a bug in this conversion code. This is then sending it to the operating system clock, which knows fine well that the 29/2/2010 is an invalid date, so it panics and resets itself to 31/12/1999. This date is what is being sent to the PSN leading to an authentication failure (the dates don't tally) and quite possibly what some games are using for trophy info (ie if you've unlocked trophies on 28/2/2010 but the game starts up on 31/12/1999, something is wrong somewhere and it might think it's trying to be hacked, so gives the authentication error that people are seeing).

A firmware fix will solve it, but sorting out lost trophies etc will be more of a pain.

Possibly.

But any sensible system would sync the hardware realtime clock with the system clock on shutdown so as to get around this problem.

i.e. OK, the hardware clock has fallen over and taken the system clock with it. But I set the system clock to a proper, valid date, and shutdown. That should then sync the hardware realtime clock to the valid date. When I bring the unit back up again, all is well with the world.

We can prove this by setting the system clock to some arbitrary date, and then shutting down. We can then pull the power from the unit for a few minutes and reboot. If the system still thinks it is the date/time we set before pulling the power then the hardware clock is set to sync with the system clock.

All of the above notwithstanding, even with correctly setting the clock, because we booted with a stupid date (i.e. 31/12/1999) we would very quickly get into date/time conflicts where certain files have now been date/time stamped (at boot up) with dates in the past AND the future.

I suspect this is where the problem now lies. i.e. now that a boot has occurred in the "past", which was unavoidable (because you HAD to start the unit to establish anything was wrong), you now have files where date/time stamps are inconsistent with files that were date/time stamped either before or afterwards.

I would imagine that some sloppy coding somewhere failed to take into consideration the failover of the hardware clock to "1999", and a date with that year is/cannot be handled gracefully; in turn leading to a sequence of events which are inescapable.

EDIT --> It would be interesting to note if anyone had their PS3 on over midnight last night. i.e. as the date changed from 28/2 to 1/3. If the system clock is behaving correctly, but the hardware clock is not, then having the unit powered on during the date change SHOULD theoretically get round the problem, as the system clock should "correct" the hardware clock when you powered down in the early hours of this morning......

QUOTE(Gav @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ETA: Actually, I don't think a firmware fix is needed. I think the core clock will tick over to '1st March 2010' tomorrow morning and things can right themselves from there, including patching once people are back on PSN. It's only because the clock's looking for a date that doesn't exist (29th Feb 2010).

If it's more complex than that, Sony could be looking at a recall which makes the RROD look like the teddy bears' picnic.

Interesting.....

I need to think about that one.

My gut feeling is that would not work, as that is the same as me setting the clock to the correct date today, and rebooting with the now correct, valid date in the hardware clock. I've tried that, and it didn't work.

HOWEVER, it may be that this is more complicated than just us mere "users", and that this is actually a problem of PSN in combination with the older PS3 units. In which case, a fix/workaround at the PSN end of the equation might just save the day.

I don't know Gav. It depends on the nature of the issue - and we're NEVER going to find out the truth on that one.

As you say, WHATEVER the issue, Sony have too much riding on this to let it float around for too long - it'll get fixed PDQ I reckon.

I reckon Domino's Pizza will be doing some pretty tidy business into the small hours at Sony HQ.......

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The hardware clock would be isolated from the user-configurable system clock to prevent cheating. The problem is that the clock by which all other clocks are judged says it's definitely 29th Feb 2010, and anything else is incorrect.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(steve austin @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW ! You guys !

Is this a delayed millenium bug ?

Im scared ! is the world gonna end ?

Sloppy coding. Nothing more sinister than that.

·
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 1 Mar 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The hardware clock would be isolated from the user-configurable system clock to prevent cheating. The problem is that the clock by which all other clocks are judged says it's definitely 29th Feb 2010, and anything else is incorrect.

Again - possibly.

I think, however, it is more complicated than that.

If it were simply a case of hardware clock vs system clock then that is reasonably easily fixed.

After all, at least one hardware clock does seem to syncing with the system clock on shutdown as the PS3 does remember the date/time while without power.

As you said Gav, the issue here is one of the hardware clock falling over whilst the unit is powered down. On boot the system clock nudges the hardware clock, and says, "oi, what time is it?".

The hardware clock says "29th February 2010".

The system clock says "Um - are you having a laugh?"

"Nope, pretty sure it's 29th February 2010", confirms the hardware clock.

"Not having that", refutes the system clock, "we'll settle on 31st December 1999".

After that, the boot-up goes really screwy, stuff gets date/time stamped all over the place, and even setting the date/time correctly at this point doesn't help because the date/time stamps have already been made. Sloppy coding then takes over that essentially goes into meltdown when it encounters date/time stamps before the millennium.

At the end of the day, it's clear we mere mortals do not understand the intricacies of the issue(s). Clearly there is WAY more going here than meets the eye. There may be a MASTER clock, more than one hardware clock, PSN server time sync issues etc etc etc....

As mentioned before, this is too much of a hot potato for Sony to ignore. It'll get fixed ASAP, one way or the other.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts