Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

lol, just reviewing my charges and hourly rates and wondered what the going rate per hour actually is for ASP.net programming?

cant seem to find a definitive answer.

I know graphics designers who charge £35 per hour.

so surely it wouldnt be less than that?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its all relative to be honest - if you're current rate is £35/hr and your not getting any work, amongst other things, you might want to review your hourly.

This is also assuming you're freelancing.

I personally base freelance stuff on £25/hr, but always over quote jobs so I'm never sold short.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
yes - i cant tell you what they are for ASP as we dont touch Microsoft (Java/PHP is our remit). However you might want to change your rate depending on complexity this is what we do

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(mikeh @ 23 Feb 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>always over quote jobs so I'm never sold short.

This is a sound bit of advise always quote with some contingency, if you think the job is going to take 5 hours quote for 6 its always the way with development unforchantly oh and customers always eleberate on the fly which is annoying

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you would say for ASP.net freelance development charge £25/phour or so?

another forum told me to add on as much as 3 hours lol on the estimated time.

personally with this client id rather do things on a monthly basis because they want the site continually developed.. but they are persistant on per job costing.. which is fine by me.. will just work out more expensive for them.

Because obviously with a gauranteed monthly fee I can allocate an agreed amount of hours and use that time more efficiently accross the site, rather than on 1 individual thing and when I can fit it in.. but its up to them.. just dont want to be done by on terms of what I need to be charging them and couldnt find any sort of specific guidelines on charges.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(RB2004 @ 23 Feb 2010, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so you would say for ASP.net freelance development charge £25/phour or so?

another forum told me to add on as much as 3 hours lol on the estimated time.

personally with this client id rather do things on a monthly basis because they want the site continually developed.. but they are persistant on per job costing.. which is fine by me.. will just work out more expensive for them.

Because obviously with a gauranteed monthly fee I can allocate an agreed amount of hours and use that time more efficiently accross the site, rather than on 1 individual thing and when I can fit it in.. but its up to them.. just dont want to be done by on terms of what I need to be charging them and couldnt find any sort of specific guidelines on charges.

£20-£30 depending sounds about right, to be honest you'd be better off quoting per project rather than per hour.

yeah you find most companies big and small dont want to commit to a fixed monthly fee, we work with a massive mobile phone company and they are exactly the same. although what does work is you can sell them a block of hours for x amount, normally discounted for bulk buying. We only offer this though for minor updates and not for full on development work, so content updates, new images, chaning branding for promotional stuff etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats the akward thing about it.. they want full development.. not so much content updates.. but new pages, features.. bits of the site rewrites etc.
thats the problem because its hard to know how long these things will take until you start getting into it, which was why initially i wanted to work on a monthly fee basis.

whatever I do, need to gaurantee that monthly income because if its payment on project completion.. if it takes 2-3 months then im not going to have any income... i dont have a team of people or premesis like a larger company. Thats why project pricing didnt suit me.

but maybe as you said.. sell blocks of hours, least then it will gaurantee some kind of monthly income.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
yep its cashflow nightmare, however you do get more value from doing it per project becuase you risk short changing yourself at a fix monthly fee. We charge per project but normally break the project down into a series of payments rather than on delivery, depends on the size of the project but this can be as much as 50% upfront, this at least covers our costs and if the customer delays for whatever reason you've covered your costs.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Try not to focus too much on a "monthly income", once you get your cashflow sorted you will have enough coming in year round anyway.

I tend to quote per job and charge 50% deposit up front and nobody has complained in 8 years. The rest is paid on completion.

For adhoc work I charge anything between £35 and £70 per hour depending on job/client/timescales. Don't be afraid to ask clients how much they want to spend either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
another vote for quoting per project. per/hour might be ok for random consulting, but full on projects then it's a start>finish price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts