Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My ST is a lease car, I have the option to come out the agreement early (due to financial circumstances change
) And I'm looking at a older car for approx £3K but trying to get something that is not a million miles different performance wise. I don't need 4 seats or a boot anymore since we have a qashqai too which is the kiddie bucket/practical car.

I quite fancy an MR2 (new shape if I can get one for that price) but I've never driven one or even a rear wheel drive before. Anyone drove one who has an ST who can post up a comparison? Also would welcome any other suggestions. Scoobies/Evos are out due to running costs, not too impressed by CTRs or Clio Sports either, I'm a bit old for those :)

Ta

David

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Problem with MGF and MR2 is the cost of maintenance, due ( i believe) to having to take the engine out for quite a few different maintenance items such as cambelt...

Have you thought of a mk3 golf VR6 or even a Corrado VR6? I had a Corrado for a lot of years, out handles the
all day long.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
MX5 are just as much of a girls car as the new MR2 is so don't worry about that.

Don't go anywhere near a MGTF, don't even have the thought in your head, they are awful - cramped, slow, low quality, very very unreliable - my sister had a new one (after I told her not to) and it was dreadful.

I had a 1994 MR2, the revision 3 model with circa 175bhp and I liked it. Slightly vague steering, but very reliable and a lot of fun when dry.

Trubo versions are fun, and if you can get a Rev5 they are great, 1998 onwards.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a 1986 MR2 T-bar mk1 for over 3 years (the longest I've ever owned any car). I know its not the mk2 you were referring to but the mk1 is great fun to drive, well built and reliable. If you can get hold of a well looked after example (still quite a few about) it will be great fun and a bit of a talking point aswell. Depreciation will be minimal if you look after it, may even increase in value once the recession passes. Plenty of parts available so cheap to run aswell.
The mk2 is a totally different beast. In standard form its very slow and too big to be a nippy, fun sports car. A bit disappointing IMO. The mk3 is excellent but a bit like the MX5, its a bit girly!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Liz-whizz @ 13 Jan 2010, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had a 1986 MR2 T-bar mk1 for over 3 years (the longest I've ever owned any car). I know its not the mk2 you were referring to but the mk1 is great fun to drive, well built and reliable. If you can get hold of a well looked after example (still quite a few about) it will be great fun and a bit of a talking point aswell. Depreciation will be minimal if you look after it, may even increase in value once the recession passes. Plenty of parts available so cheap to run aswell.
The mk2 is a totally different beast. In standard form its very slow and too big to be a nippy, fun sports car. A bit disappointing IMO. The mk3 is excellent but a bit like the MX5, its a bit girly!

Good job you posted, I had been looking at parkers and what I thought was a mk2 is actually a mk3! The Mk1 and 2 are the older boxy ones. Yeah I recon I'd go for the girly mk3 its still a little less girly than an MX5 and if all else fails I can learn to be a hairdresser lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
QUOTE(Enceladus @ 13 Jan 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good job you posted, I had been looking at parkers and what I thought was a mk2 is actually a mk3! The Mk1 and 2 are the older boxy ones. Yeah I recon I'd go for the girly mk3 its still a little less girly than an MX5 and if all else fails I can learn to be a hairdresser lol

Yes you're right, not as girly as an MX5, also depends on the colour! As long as its not pink you'll not lose any street cred!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Focus ST, my missus has a MR-2 Roadster (the latest shape) they are both different types of fun! I love the STs relentless torque and acceleration oh and it handles pretty well for a large FWD car

The MR-2 is typically Japanese, requires the nuts reving off it to get any power but so reliable and dependable if completely impractical. There is storage space for a medium sized kipper. The long wheel base and mid mounted engine makes for a great handling motor, you can stick it round corners and just does as you commands. Also, last summer when I borrowed it for a few days to head to work, having the roof down is awesome with the sun shining.

I don't know why people think the MK3 is girly, okay so the 1.8 engine could do with a bit more power - but if you look for the really really late MK3s then you can find the special edition that have added turbo fun! Oh, and the Roadster definitely has serious track day potential, really for the money IMO the only other car that compares is the Exige.

If you do go for a MR2 then make sure you get the post 2003 versions! Firstly they look much more aggressive, they have a slightly different wheel setup which improves handling oh and you might have read about the pre-cat issue? If not read this: MR2ROC although Toyota didn't do anything intelligent like remove the pre-cats post-2003 they did at least change the engine internals which is suppose to help this be less of a problem - ours is a 2003 with ~48,000 on the clock and feels basically new with no sign of pre-cat problems etc!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(hattersley @ 13 Jan 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Focus ST, my missus has a MR-2 Roadster (the latest shape) they are both different types of fun! I love the STs relentless torque and acceleration oh and it handles pretty well for a large FWD car

The MR-2 is typically Japanese, requires the nuts reving off it to get any power but so reliable and dependable if completely impractical. There is storage space for a medium sized kipper. The long wheel base and mid mounted engine makes for a great handling motor, you can stick it round corners and just does as you commands. Also, last summer when I borrowed it for a few days to head to work, having the roof down is awesome with the sun shining.

I don't know why people think the MK3 is girly, okay so the 1.8 engine could do with a bit more power - but if you look for the really really late MK3s then you can find the special edition that have added turbo fun! Oh, and the Roadster definitely has serious track day potential, really for the money IMO the only other car that compares is the Exige.

If you do go for a MR2 then make sure you get the post 2003 versions! Firstly they look much more aggressive, they have a slightly different wheel setup which improves handling oh and you might have read about the pre-cat issue? If not read this: MR2ROC although Toyota didn't do anything intelligent like remove the pre-cats post-2003 they did at least change the engine internals which is suppose to help this be less of a problem - ours is a 2003 with ~48,000 on the clock and feels basically new with no sign of pre-cat problems etc!

Thanks Mate, my budget would mean a pre 2003 I recon, but after reading this £50-£70 to have the precats removed isn't so bad, better than a blown engine! If I do get a pre 2003 no way they are staying in.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
QUOTE(Liz-whizz @ 13 Jan 2010, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The mk2 is a totally different beast. In standard form its very slow and too big to be a nippy, fun sports car. A bit disappointing IMO.

I disagree from my experience of chucking mine around.

Had mine for a few years and did 30k miles in it, mainly at the weekend with the Subaru bunch and it was really good fun. The earlier versions were slow with the 121 and 158bhp engines, but the revision 3 and on with the 175bhp engines and revised chassis were excellent and you could have plenty of fun in them.

A few tweaks would get you some extra power and they handled well IMO.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Scoobies/Evos are out due to running costs, not too impressed by CTRs or Clio Sports either, I'm a bit old for those :)

your signature says your 31 yrs old . TO OLD NEVER.........

Im 43 this year and i love driving the
,s clio 197 . cracking car

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(cbred @ 14 Jan 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Scoobies/Evos are out due to running costs, not too impressed by CTRs or Clio Sports either, I'm a bit old for those :)
your signature says your 31 yrs old . TO OLD NEVER.........
Im 43 this year and i love driving the
,s clio 197 . cracking car

Must update that sig, 33 this year

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Test drove an MR2 today :)

Feels slow compared to an ST as theres no shove in the back like you get with turbo'd cars. Having said that its was quicker than it felt. Booted it took it upto 50mph looked at the speedo and it was 70 not 50!

Very tempted by one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.