Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
The st wins again. Well overall lol I can't believe the brake caught on fire lol
Hmmm win by feeling sorry for the ST if you ask me. He called it ugly and was the slowest off all 3 and yet takes it for the road. I think vx and renault owners will be feeling rather smug after seeing this.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hmmm win by feeling sorry for the ST if you ask me. He called it ugly and was the slowest off all 3 and yet takes it for the road. I think vx and renault owners will be feeling rather smug after seeing this.
But in real world terms there is nothing in them performance wise the other two are setup for track use but for an every day car with performance and every day use you carnt beat it and consedering the st is 16 too 20 break down it not that much slower around the track.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Considering the ST was designed as an everyday use car. On the track I would say it didn't do too bad. Its a brilliant car to drive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
But in real world terms there is nothing in them performance wise the other two are setup for track use but for an every day car with performance and every day use you carnt beat it and consedering the st is 16 too 20 break down it not that much slower around the track.
Yeah thats true, in everyday use there is nothing in it and a lot of reviewers like the fun factor of the ST whereas the other two seem to be so good that they fall into less fun driving. Horses for courses i guess.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Didn't test drive the Vauxhall it was far to expensive when you fully loaded it, well over 30k and it wasn't the best reviews either, test drove the Renault and the Golf GTI and the SEAT Cupra R, honestly I could not live with the Renault, the ride was to harsh and the build quality was pants, the Golf was so boring, the SEAT was great but the boot was to small and the fake carbon on the back of the front seats was a
idea.

The Focus was the pick of the bunch and now it's bluefin'd it's also the quickest.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Unfortunately its not even the best looking hot hatch anymore, let alone drive
Have you driven any of the cars tested and I mean current models?

Every road test so far has it as the pick of the bunch, the ultimate happy medium between a great road car and a track car in its class.

These a professional motoring journalists they must have an idea what they are doing?

To me it's testament to how good a job Ford have done to improve on the old ST and still keep it a drivers car while making it a day to day car, yes we loose the 5 pot but we gain an estate, 5 door only but I don't notice sat in the front with the throttle pinned to the floor.

I love the ST and the RS, I've been lucky enough to try them all MK1 and MK2 in all flavours but the new car is leagues ahead in being able to live with day to day.

Who knows Ford might even do an RS estate this time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Audi RS4, Audi RS6, BMW M5, Merc AMG 63 and that's off the top of my head.

Ford Focus RS estate, why not?
Because no one in their right mind would turn down those cars for a Ford.

Has the Chris Harris auto test been posted? VXR and Megane are better cars, but it seems that the Focus is just easier to live with.

Its also not a secret have spent a small fortune on advertising and marketing, so hardly surprising these cars are winning auto tests in publications dependant on advertising.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Because no one in their right mind would turn down those cars for a Ford.

Has the Chris Harris auto test been posted? VXR and Megane are better cars, but it seems that the Focus is just easier to live with.

Its also not a secret have spent a small fortune on advertising and marketing, so hardly surprising these cars are winning auto tests in publications dependant on advertising.
I didn't say they would turn down any of those cars, I said why not another fast estate car from Ford.

Oh and by the way some one on this forum did turn down the RS4 in favour of the ST.

I believe the other cars in the tests have marketing as well, I also said its a better day to day car to live with.

I've driven the competition this year and they are really focused cars but I couldn't live with them everyday, people think the Focus is expensive, the Astra is 33k and it's a Vauxhall.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I didn't say they would turn down any of those cars, I said why not another fast estate car from Ford.

Oh and by the way some one on this forum did turn down the RS4 in favour of the ST.

I believe the other cars in the tests have marketing as well, I also said its a better day to day car to live with.

I've driven the competition this year and they are really focused cars but I couldn't live with them everyday, people think the Focus is expensive, the Astra is 33k and it's a Vauxhall.
The last fast estate was the Mondeo ST and it absolutely tanked in sales. Why would they do it again? There were fewer ST220's sold than DB9s

Ford have been dishing out press demonstrators left, right and centre. Look at the test results. Every test i've seen says the Megane and VXR are better steers and look better, but the Focus wins the group test? Hmmmm ok then... I honestly think there isn't a *** paper between these 3, no car is any better than the other.

List price is £33k, however as your no doubt aware nobody pays list price on Ford or Vauxhauls. I've seen fully spec Astras going for sub£25k.

I find it interesting how these tests always leave out the M135i. Stonking car that puts serious pressure on all three of these as the drivers choice.

Choosing an ST over an RS4...

I honestly thought fanboys like this were limited to Hondas.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
So lets compare the last 5 pot to the current crop???

Life moves on for some but clearly not others.

The last ST was brilliant and clearly the new one is, but if the new ones a waste of time what does that make the last one???

In my opinion a brilliant car, just a few people can't accept things move on clearly, loose the dogs and the family and I would have bought a 5 pot years ago.

Your opinion not mine??????!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know what you mean about the m135i. That would be the pick in performance but again it is let down badly in the looks department. The ST is not everyones cup of tea in terms of looks but it looks a hell of a lot better than the hideous bmw.

If you could just pick out the best bits from these 4 cars you could have an amazing looking super hot hatch (inside and out) with the speed and handling to match.

Just a pity not one manufacturer can get it all right in one package.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems to me that the vauxhall and Renault are more at home on the track which is fine fort rack days button live with day by day the focus makes sense!!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
It seems to me that the vauxhall and Renault are more at home on the track which is fine fort rack days button live with day by day the focus makes sense!!!
I agree, as I think many others do - on paper and on track the Megane and VXR win pretty much every time as far as performance and handling goes. But they're a little too hardcore for most people to live with as a daily drive, which is where the Focus shines.

·
Registered
191 Posts
the focus wins were it matters the renaults fine if you want to spend all day driving in circles on a trac. A lot of ford people wouldn"t have the VXR as a gift and vice versa for vauxhall guys.At the weekend i pick up my UG RS i have a couple of friends with these and they both say my ST2 is a better all round more practical car as they"ve had both.Ive got the RS because of what it is,i"m not expecting it to be a much better more comfortable car. Soddin expensive though

1 - 20 of 36 Posts