Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right it's coming up to a year since i bought my 07 plate St, it has done 47,000 odd miles, it was serviced last year by Ford, i have only done 700 mile in the car since i have had it.

Now my question is do i do a DIY service ? I have no intention of selling the car on, so i believe keeping the service book up to date is rather pointless , and saves quite a few pounds, So i presume the bog standard servicing kit which i can buy from online retailers will do the job ok ?

Is there anything else i may need to include in the service kit.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
May as well do everything for peace of mind. Keep all receipts (make sure date is on them) and write the mileage on them.

I'd replace:

Oil and filter
Air filter
Pollen filter
Spark plugs (RS ones)
Brake fluid (DOT 5.1)
Coolant (red stuff)

Check brake pads and discs for wear
Check tyres for wear

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
May as well do everything for peace of mind. Keep all receipts (make sure date is on them) and write the mileage on them.

I'd replace:

Oil and filter
Air filter
Pollen filter
Spark plugs (RS ones)
Brake fluid (DOT 5.1)
Coolant (red stuff)

Check tyres for wear
+1 ...the only thing I havent got round to doing is upgrading the brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts

I'd replace:

Oil and filter
Air filter
Pollen filter
Spark plugs (RS ones)
Brake fluid (DOT 5.1)
Coolant (red stuff)

Check tyres for wear
Thanks Andy and Geoff, forgot about the brake fluid to be honest, and never thought about the coolant.

One quick question, the Timing Belt they say change it around the 100,000 mile mark, as i did hear rumours about some problems with timing belts on the focus or was that just a myth.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Thanks Andy and Geoff, forgot about the brake fluid to be honest, and never thought about the coolant.

One quick question, the Timing Belt they say change it around the 100,000 mile mark, as i did hear rumours about some problems with timing belts on the focus or was that just a myth.

Thanks
Not heard of any problems on Focus. Other than rabbits, mice and rats getting caught up in it.

Most people don't wait the whole 10 years though. There's also a Kevlar belt upgrade for added protection.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

Thanks
I changed and upgraded my timing belt to the kevlar kit from JWR, my car was only on 50,000 but it was piece of mind...and if the ford one is meant to be good for 120,000 then the JWR one should be more than good for the life of the car.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again both, worth looking into the kevlar timing belt in the future, like Geoff said just for a piece of mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts