Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing creaks from the rear of the car since i bought it 4 months ago and have been trying everything to cure them.
Tonight i spent quite a while adjusting the tailgate lock striker plate as when you press down on the tailgate it creaked which is what it sounded like when driving over uneven roads.
After adjusting it 20-30 times so the tailgate was level with the wings both sides i couln't stop the creak - UNTIL i sprayed WD40 on the eleccy release tabs next to the striker! the rubbers had dried out and caused the creaks

Worth trying as there seem to be quite a few people with creaking rears

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(weSTie @ 21 Jan 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nowt worse than a creeking rear

Right ok I've sprayed mine but can you now quickly advise on how to stop the stinging.... I assume you had the same but I cant get it to stop and its getting worse! Tried water, no difference. Tempted to try mayonnaise.

I know.. I know... sick!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been trying to cure the noise from the rear hatch since i bought the car (2 years ago)
i tried all the usual moving the catch, wrapping in tape, spraying the seals etc etc but the noise kept coming back after a few days driving me nuts. I looked at the 2 small blocks in the catch that you mention but didnt think they could cause all that noise, but i gave them a dab of WD and now SILENCE
Thanks now i know if and when the noise returns exactly how to stop it.
Gaza

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Gaza_st @ 29 Jan 2010, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been trying to cure the noise from the rear hatch since i bought the car (2 years ago)
i tried all the usual moving the catch, wrapping in tape, spraying the seals etc etc but the noise kept coming back after a few days driving me nuts. I looked at the 2 small blocks in the catch that you mention but didnt think they could cause all that noise, but i gave them a dab of WD and now SILENCE
Thanks now i know if and when the noise returns exactly how to stop it.
Gaza

I removed every bit of interior trim in the boot area - tailgate panel and surround, etctaped anything that could move more than 1mm, put velcro everywhere and nothing worked. I adjusted the catch dozens of times as my noise sounded more of a rattle but that didn't work - not sure why but i decided on the WD40 1 night and forgot about it until halfway to work the next morning and noticed silence (well from the back)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(wabbit1 @ 29 Jan 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any pics of the bits to spray?

when you open the tailgate look at the bottom section where the boot latch closes onto. There are 2 rubber bits (1 each side) next to the metal catch - just spray WD40 all over the rubbers

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(LiamX8 @ 29 Jan 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my tailgate isnt level with both winds how do you ajust it and also have to slam it hard to lock properly
?

Look at the pic, you need to prise the 2 square covers (shown next to arrows) to reveal a torx bolt under each.
Usind a torx driver loosen the bolts and the catch will move left - right and up - down. I adjusted mine a few times to even the gaps either side of the tailgate and to help it close easier

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.