Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,331 Posts
So, some of us might have been waiting for Android Auto external apps that will allow us to do more than just the official apps. The day is finally here. This opens up possibilities from possibly dangerous video players to nice apps like custom extra gauges etc. Will be interesting what else we will be able to get to our infotaiment this way. I for one would love to have Youtube integration for long waits in the car, some form of Race Chrono type of app that would allow you to log your laps at the track etc etc.

An Xda forum user has been able to make a plugin to Android version of Torque Pro app that allows you to show custom gauges in Android auto. Software is still very much in alpha version but it works at least mostly and is a nice proof of concept. I have been trying it out and so far have got a few gauges to work and showing correct/believable data. Currently have GPS speed, coolant temp, gearbox oil temp (Powershift) , and intake air temp seems to work but Im not fully certain about the correct readings and engine oil temp worked at start but started to bug out. Will have to try out how the others will work (intake temp etc) when I get from work.

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part Car

Attachments

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Fantastic. I already have the pro version of torque. What OBD reader are you using? Does it interrupt the phone connection to the stereo?
Didnt try other features like Spotify but it should work. At least I got a phone call when I was in the car and it worked like it should. Basically its just another Android app that can add itself to Android auto UI and uses Torque Pro apps readings from the OBD reader. A have some no name mini BT OBD-reader I bought from a local store.

EDIT: Will have to try out G-sensor data, DPF sensor data etc etc. Would be lovely to see DPF status for example but I dont know is Torque capable of showing that info.

· Registered
80 Posts
I've got Waze working on Android Auto. Make sure you are fully upto date with apps. I then plugged my phone in, tapped maps on android auto, and it invited me to choose from waze or google maps.

Didnt try other features like Spotify but it should work. At least I got a phone call when I was in the car and it worked like it should. Basically its just another Android app that can add itself to Android auto UI and uses Torque Pro apps readings from the OBD reader. A have some no name mini BT OBD-reader I bought from a local store.

EDIT: Will have to try out G-sensor data, DPF sensor data etc etc. Would be lovely to see DPF status for example but I dont know is Torque capable of showing that info.
DPF visibility was the one that struck me as good to see.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So quite many of the gauges work but Im having a weird bug where number 4 gauge is always jumping like crazy. Currently trying to resolve the issue with the dev. Hopefully it will work as intended soon enough. He was able to reproduce the problem partly so at least there is hope for me :p. Its nice to see the intake temps and see how hard acceleration affects the intake temps. Does anybody know can the DPF pressure or temps tell you anything about how full the DPF is etc?

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little update. The dev is hard at work to fix the issues with the gauges that doesnt work and go crazy and as the test vehicle the dev is using to test these fixes is an ST it at least gives our cars the best possible support. Hopefully we will see a fix soon. As soon as the bugs are ironed out Ill start testing different gauges like G-sensor from the car itself, different temp sensors, timers etc etc.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Torque and BHP are way off the mark with this app, however you can get a fairly accurate BHP figure from the Maf air flow reading.
I tested mine yesterday and got 184 bhp, which is very close if not spot on.
That is all on Torque app itself. The plug-in just reads the data as Torque delivers it. Currently the dev is trying to solve a few bugs on certain gauges going crazy or showing wrong data even if the pid is ok. And trying get the notification to work so even if the app is not open it could show a notification if coolant temp goes up or for example oil and water are now at temp x.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
@Pyrres have you been able to get any gauges working that give an indication of the DPF Regen taking place?

Would quite like to have that option available. A friend with a Vauxhall has managed to set his up so he gets an audible alert when the DPF reaches a certain temp so he knows it's performing a regen.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Nope I haven't had the time. I got the normal gauges to work but I have not been near the car for a while so haven't had the time to test things out. But then again you will know when the DPF regens as the sound chances quite a lot. But at least the dev has been able to get the gauges to work properly and we now have theming and notifications. So for example when engine reaches certain temperature it shows notification that sais that engine is up to temp etc. These are still partly in development but already implemented into the app.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Nope I haven't had the time. I got the normal gauges to work but I have not been near the car for a while so haven't had the time to test things out. But then again you will know when the DPF regens as the sound chances quite a lot. But at least the dev has been able to get the gauges to work properly and we now have theming and notifications. So for example when engine reaches certain temperature it shows notification that sais that engine is up to temp etc. These are still partly in development but already implemented into the app.
Yes, the engine sound is different when driving, but occasionally it starts a regen as you are about to finish your journey and if you are parked up, you wouldn't know.

I had this the other day, and it was only when I lifted the clutch and the revs increased on their own that I noticed the noise change. I was about to turn off the engine.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the engine sound is different when driving, but occasionally it starts a regen as you are about to finish your journey and if you are parked up, you wouldn't know.
I had this the other day, and it was only when I lifted the clutch and the revs increased on their own that I noticed the noise change. I was about to turn off the engine.
Maybe it's a bit different as I always let my car idle a bit and that it's automatic so it might handle start&stop differently to the manual.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I've managed to find a working PID to check the DPF Load by percentage, and have alarmed it so I know if it gets above 75% full.

This should give me an idea of an up-coming regeneration, or at least give me an idea of how many miles I can expect to do between them.

I also have all 4 tyre pressures on the screen from the TPMS system. Not essential, but could be handy.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've managed to find a working PID to check the DPF Load by percentage, and have alarmed it so I know if it gets above 75% full.
This should give me an idea of an up-coming regeneration, or at least give me an idea of how many miles I can expect to do between them.
I also have all 4 tyre pressures on the screen from the TPMS system. Not essential, but could be handy.
Mind sharing the pid name/code so I can set up mine when I get back to car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.