Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Im needing some advise on what amp and subwoofer to get? anyone got decent ones in there st?
It's just the standard sony headunit it will be going through. When i comes to electronics im clueless..
Im going to put in into a garage to set it up so what else would i need to buy? il need a wiring kit? anything else?
Your help would be much appreciated

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
It won't actually go through the head unit, but take a feed from the head unit, normally from an amplifier pre-out connection in the form of a pair of round RCA or phono sockets, one white and one red. That will feed your amp, then your amp feeds your subwoofer. You could also power all of your speakers from the amp if you got one with enough outputs, sound that goes through an amp generally comes out better quality (it's not all about volume). If you were going to do that though you'd need some crossovers, to separate the high end to the tweeters and mid range to the mid range speakers.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend to be honest, you get what you pay for with ICE.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah not looking to spend to much, just wanting something decent.
so what will i need if im just looking to set up a amp and sub being fed from the headunit? (not to botherd about hooking the speakers up to the amp) would it just be the amp, sub, and a wiring kit? or is there anything else?
thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
All you'd need would be the wiring from the head unit to the amp, if it's a pre-out like I mentioned then it's just a twin RCA lead, then the wiring from the amp to the sub. You'll also need some wiring for the live and earth for the amp. I expect you can get all that wiring in some sort of pre-packed kit. You'll need to check your head unit though to see what connections it has, I've no idea unfortunately.

Your better off just changing the head unit as Im nearly sure the standard sonys dont have pre-outs.
A cheaper option might be to get a converter that takes a feed from a speaker output and smooths it out and then you connect your amp to that - something like this

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i was reading other posts there and someone said about changing the headunit first, im not sure if im wanting to change it though.
il have to do a bit of research and see.

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah i was reading other posts there and someone said about changing the headunit first, im not sure if im wanting to change it though.
il have to do a bit of research and see.
I have a decent sub for sale mate, came out of a ST, it's in the classfields, I also have a amp I would be happy to sell aswel if your interested?
Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im going to buy a brand new amp and sub buddy, cheers though.
did you have trouble hooking up a sub to your st? or was it easy enough?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
A cheaper option might be to get a converter that takes a feed from a speaker output and smooths it out and then you connect your amp to that - something like this
Never seen anything like that swifty, but would that converter and then the sub and amp be cheaper than swapping to a better head unit which has a better amp built in as standard. I was thinking of putting sub amp and swapping speakers but after changing just the head unit the difference in sound was unreal.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Have you considered an active sub? I have one installed discretely under my passenger seat. The wife really seems to enjoy herself when I play my Leftfield albums. Not sure why though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
im going to buy a brand new amp and sub buddy, cheers though.
did you have trouble hooking up a sub to your st? or was it easy enough?
Well if I was going to give you any advice on buying new make sure you spend a enough on one. as stated before you get what you pay for, mine was expensive when first brought but I just don't want it in this car.
Vibe I have found are the best for sound & quality without spending £1000's

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
did you say your headunit has a amp built in?
Most head units have some sort of amp in them. The standard head unit really is poo for decent sound but the speakers aint too bad. I was going to rip every hting out head unit and speakers and change them all to after market with sub and amp, but after changing head unit I decided against it as the sound was way better.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I would have a look on caraudiosecurity.com or caraudiocentre.co.uk, the only time i go to halfords is if i need something and don't want to wait from ordering online, or to have a cheeky play with a few headunits and see what I like.

If you do buy a head unit just make sure it is a decent make, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Alpine etc. I'd recommend spending from £150 upwards minimum. I've just ordered a Pioneer AVH-4400BT. I've had Pioneer before and the actual unit lasted a long time. I like the look of the 4400 as it is just a 7" screen with a few buttons along the bottom and looks more discreet than one with loads of buttons.

If I was buying a sub/amp now I would buy a matched set online from the above websites, this is similar to what I have at the moment, it isn't the loudest but it is a nice clear set up http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5932.html . It's better to have a more powerful amp than required, but those aren't

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Never seen anything like that swifty, but would that converter and then the sub and amp be cheaper than swapping to a better head unit which has a better amp built in as standard. I was thinking of putting sub amp and swapping speakers but after changing just the head unit the difference in sound was unreal.
No idea tbh, but the OP was only looking to install an amp and a sub so sound quality wasn't the big issue.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Are you installing the kit yourself?

Normally the biggest increase in sound quality comes from adding a small sub and letting the standard speakers play the notes they are sized for. 6 inch speakers cannot play bass notes.
So you would need an amp, a sub, an enclosure of some kind, a wiring kit and a line to RCA converter if your amp will not take line level inputs. The other option is an active sub if you don't want to show off a boot full of subs. What do you want really? Where are you going to buy the kit and who is going to fit it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts