Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a recommendation for upgrading the shift cable bushings. I purchased a set off of ebay, was a bit sceptical as they are much cheaper than others available from cobb etc but they really are pretty good. Fitted them yesterday and coupled with my fswerks shift plate they have made a really nice difference to shifting. Everything feels much more precise and tight.

I also purchased the aluminium transmission bracket bushings from the same seller but have yet to fit so can't speak for these yet.

Ebay link below...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-gear-shifter-cable-bushings-screw-kit-for-Ford-Focus-ST-2013-RS-2016/223493535822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-Ford-Focus-RS-ST-Transmission-Bracket-Shifter-Bushings-aluminum-2013/223493550961?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

fyi the ebay seller accepted an offer of £5 per bushing (you need to order 1 for each cable so 2 total and 3 sets of the bracket bushings if doing these as well). They took about 2 weeks to arrive from China and didn't come with any thread-lock but you cant fault the price compared to others on the market. They also didnt come with any instructions but there are plenty of youtube vids showing how they go in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just fitted these shift cable bushings and find that the gear stick isn't springing back in to neutral which is really annoying and i have to be extra conscious not to change in the wrong gear (1st instead of 3rd etc). Did you have this issue? The shift cables were really hard to get back on the domed sticks from the gear box and i had to use mole grips to clamp them on. They aren't free to move as they were which is causing the gear stick issue. This may get better as the green plastic insert moulds to being in the new bush but i might have to sand a microscopic amount of aluminum out of the bush.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found they were definitely tighter to get onto the ball ends but didn't experience any issues like you're mentioning, you could try a little grease to help them move around the stud perhaps.

Did you recalibrate your shift cable after you did the install? I'd say this is the most likely cause as its the most important step to getting it feeling like it should. Take a look at the second to last post on the thread below for instructions, it takes 2 mins and it's very easy to do, makes all the difference...

https://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/576251-difficult-to-select-first-gear/

·
Registered
77 Posts
@ST4ME

Yeah i actually used that post when fitting them as i was previously having some issues getting in to 1st. I tried spraying silicon spray in to the grommets but didn't really help. Actually moving the bushes/gear cable by hand (revolving them around the stud directly if that makes sense) was very stiff. I wonder if the tolerance is slightly out in the bush. Maybe should have checked them before loctighting them... Cheers though. I'll grease them and give it a few weeks to loosen and if that doesn't work i'll take them off and run some wet and dry around the inner surface.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@skeeter252

Did you keep it in 4th for re-engaging the clip?

Now I think about it, I did threadlock the bushings with about 1/4 of a turn left due to them being so tight around the green cup so perhaps if you did it up fully its not allowing enough play around the ball stud.

·
Registered
77 Posts
@ST4ME

I did have it in 4th yeah. I did them up pretty tight. I'll take them off and re thread lock them and try them a bit looser. Cheers for the advice :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts