Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I had an accident recently which resulted is bonnet, bumper and offside wind damage and no mechanical damage whatsoever. The car was running fine when i dropped it off at bodyshop, I drove it there infact. I got a call from them today to say the car is ready panel-wise but the battery light is staying on and fault reader shows communication fault between alternator and generator, oh and the battery voltage is dropping when the engine is running.

So basically alternator is out. I'm wondering where do I stand with all of this? I left the car with them in good mechanical order but now its knackered and i've not seen it yet!

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Hopefully they won't read our alternator failed thread.

Sounds like yours has failed too, you can try your luck with them on the issue but it really isn't their problem if we are completely honest.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they probably have Rich

It would be sad to pick up gleaming car from bodyshop with a tow truck

·
Registered
592 Posts
Took the garage I use 3hours to do it, first
they had done!
Think ford say 2.5hours.... The part is £170 with a £30 surge charge from a dealer, I got it fitted for £100 (Mates Rates) Ford i think wanted over £200!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, sounds about right, labour quotes are in 2-2.5 hr region. Everybody quotes different prices.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
if u change the alternator make sure the bolts go back in straight
or it will end up like mine where the bolts snapped pig of a job to sort out if they do.if they go in straight then its quite a simple job to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts