Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i start my car in the mornings especially these wet winter mornings the alternator belt makes a sqealing noise! and this lasts usually till the car has warmed up.
im pretty sure this noise is just the belt slipping due to moisture and not the alternator on it way out!
i was just wondering if there is a way to tighten up the tension on the belt or if it has a self tensioner??

any info would be great!

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE(RobboST @ 27 Dec 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When i start my car in the mornings especially these wet winter mornings the alternator belt makes a sqealing noise! and this lasts usually till the car has warmed up.
im pretty sure this noise is just the belt slipping due to moisture and not the alternator on it way out!
i was just wondering if there is a way to tighten up the tension on the belt or if it has a self tensioner??

any info would be great!

Thanks

Rob

Usally when the belt squeals it's down to the belt best way is to take the belts off spin all the pulleys up and check for noise or play. if no noise just change the belts it's not a hard job but there is two belts so could be either auxilary belt. best to change both. u can get belt dressing if noise still persists when new belts are on but i would say the noise will probarbly dissapear. it did on mine. hope that helps u buddy.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
They have a self tensioner fitted to both belts, my car does the exact same thing on cold mornings. I changed the belts last year and a week later the same noise was back. I have also tried oiling all the pulleys but have yet to solve the problem, mind you it has been ongoing now for 2 years.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,449 Posts
The belt does have a long service life so if there is no physical evidence of distress it is unlikely that there is a major problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts