Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With times been so difficult at the minute and ive also had a problem with family which has pretty much thrown everything upside down

My question is as above, im either going to hang on the ST as long as possible as i love the car so much, or its going to have to go and i would need a replacement for little less cash say 10K<

Thing is i want a nice alternative something quick thats nice inside and wont spank me for insurance as im only 23.

The sensible thing to do would be to sell it and relaease bit of money but i really dont want to and i think unless there is a really good reason i dout i will, as i keep thinking about keep the ST

Can anyone help, because im stumped

·
Registered
77 Posts
You'll find it difficult to get a motor with the low-end torque of the ST unless you go with a diesel like rab said. I was tempted by a remapped diesel, but you still don't have the ST noise and you end up with more longer term maintenance like clogging EGR valves etc.

I guess the next closest thing would be a VAG 1.8T engined car (Ibiza, Leon, S3, Golf) or drop back to a ST170 or something. The Leon/Ibiza and Astra SRI Cdti are decent motors remapped. It would be hard to live without the noise and the torque of a 5cyl though so I'd say keep the ST if you can. The saving wouldn't be that much, and there's always the chance you could get a problematic car to replace the ST.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Looking into it there isnt much if anything that i would swap for tbh

Biggest saving would be a Civic Type R but there just so bland inside. Everything i look at i think i just think 'not as good as an ST' lol

Maybe IF i can it will be worth trying to hold in to it as long as possible

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
keep your
mate. you will always regret it if you dont. i changed my first
for a bmw diseasel cause of the fuel bills and HATED IT!! ended up getting another
after about 4 months. ended up costing me a packet! any money you raise from the sale wont last to long and then you will be right back where you started, only with a car that sounds like a dumper truck!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
fiesta st's are good, i came from an fiesta, but the focus is generally a better built car.

the fiesta will do the same mileage per tank aswell of about 260-280 but its cheaper to fill up as the tanks smaller. with an average of about 32-36mpg

·
Registered
241 Posts
By coincidence, we (hubby and me) were talking about this exact subject last night. We came to the conclusion that we'd probably go for a Fiesta ST like SpacemanST has said. Anything would be a compromise if you have to release cash but we've all had to do it at one time or another so I understand your predicament. Dreamscience do a strategem for the Fiesta ST so with that fitted, I expect it would still be pretty entertaining!
I'd still try and hang on to the Focus if you can but thats easy for me to say.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I agree with many of the posts here, in that to actually free up a decent amount of cash you would need to downsize fairly drastically. I toyed with the Audi A3 170ps TDi and the Seat Leon equivalents etc but with the extra cash you pay for a higher mileage and older year of car it doesn't really seem viable.

Hope things pick up for you mate, at least now you've still got the
to keep the grin on your face

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Fiesta ST's are nice, I had one before my Focus but if you went for one of those you'll seriously miss the power and comfort

Id suggest a previous shape Mondeo ST, 3.0 V6 so you'll have an awesome noise like in the Focus, or you have the option of the deisel which when remapped have some serious poke. Plus you'll get heated leather and a few other toys etc.

If I ever had to free up some cash thats what id change to

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The Focus ST is NOT worth stretching yourself financially for........you will most probably regret it in a few years time, i wish i'd listened when people had said this to me when i was younger, not just about the ST about any expensive hot hatch I owned.

I sold the ST (with a bit of gentle persuasion by my boyf) and I bought another 306 GTi-6, hated it, then got a couple of mx-5's, hated them, sold 1 of them and bought a 306 Diesel Turbo and I LOVE IT. Best decision ever (well nearly lol).

If you are stretching yourself at all, the ST is NOT worth it, it really isnt, not many people are as impressed by it as you think and tbh 'who cares?'. Plus there is another time sometime to have a hot hatch, how much better will u feel to not be in debt at a certain age and be able to have an even better car, rather than constantly financing etc. to 'keep up with the Jones'

Just my opinion, I ignored the advice when I was 21/22 and i regret it now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you can afford to keep it, keep it. Changing cars will just cost you money and you'll end up with an inferior car that you don't know the history of. it could well end up stinging you in repair bills and you'll never like it as much as the ST. Do you still have outstanding finance on it? If so pay it off and just keep it an extra year or two.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have owned Integra Type R, Honda S2000, Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, Peugeot 306 GTI-6, Nissan 200sx (300bhp) and a Jabba Sports MK4 Golf GT TDI 240bhp with 380lbs ft ..........None were as good an allrounder as the Focus ST I love it its a cross between the GTI-6 AND MK4 Golf but more mature with the power of the 200SX & Torque of the powerful TDI Golf and handling of the Integra.....Well almost!! lol Its a highly underrated car is the Focus ST and I adore it......Recently out performed my dads new Subaru Impreza STI TYPE UK (300bhp) which was also very impressive and i didnt expect it.

What a fantastic car, fantastic sound, comfortable, Fast, decent insurance group...I cant think of a better car for less than 10k I honestly cant

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I came from a 56reg leon fr petrol, highly recommend it when remaped. Got rid of mine after 3 years and 23 thousand miles £9200 part x, garage had it up for £10500. Running costs and insurance were better but the noise was nothing compared to the ST and ride not as good (did't bother me though!)

I would imagine you could pick up a MK1 LCR cheap, not as nice inside but still a fast car.

I tend to agree with others though that there are probably no real savings involved unless you downgrade in performance, in turn running costs!

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Focus ST is NOT worth stretching yourself financially for........you will most probably regret it in a few years time, i wish i'd listened when people had said this to me when i was younger, not just about the ST about any expensive hot hatch I owned.

I sold the ST (with a bit of gentle persuasion by my boyf) and I bought another 306 GTi-6, hated it, then got a couple of mx-5's, hated them, sold 1 of them and bought a 306 Diesel Turbo and I LOVE IT. Best decision ever (well nearly lol).
jeez, you really had bad luck didnt you? or just bad decisions?! from what you just said, you purchased a car you couldnt afford, sold it no-doubt losing alot of cash, then purchased 3 cars after, probably lost a bit on each? i really woulndt go down this route either OP.

you dont want to go from a all-round critically acclaimed hot hatch to a what, 10 year old diesel shed, in the long run, you will lose ALOT more money p-ing around buying :censored: car after :censored: car than you would if you held out with the st until your situation improved, only then would i consider my options for selling.

if you can afford to keep it, keep it, anything else puts you at risk of screwing yourself up even more.

all IMO of course.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The ST is expensive to run, most of the other hot hatches manage MPG in the 30's at least and with fuel prices constantly on the up it can make a difference, I do 300 miles a week so notice the difference a few pence on fuel makes.

If you wanna save some money but not downgrade too much I can recommend either an EP3 CTR or clio 182 both are a lot of fun to drive and cheaper to run, and can be picked up for a bargain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.