Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
so i noticed during the week my front right tire looked very light on air...

so i went to the garage and filled it up with air, checked it the day after and it was down pressure, so i filled it again and checked it yesterday.. same problem

took it down to a garage today and they took it off, located that it had a small inch and a half ish hairline crack that was very slowly but surely leaking the air out

they advised i take it to a welding engineer to sort it out

could anyone advise me on this, specifically in the cork area, preferably east cork but i could get it to anywhere in cork really as it looks like i can drive on it

finally would someone be able to reccomend a place to get wheel alignment/balancing done aswell, as the car was pulling to the right a slight little bit recently aswell...possibly down to the crack in alloy but i wanna get it done aswell

thanks

p.s what kinda air pressure do ye lads put into yer tires? front and rear?

i was under the impression 33 on all 4 of the wheels was correct, but the guy in the place i took it to said i had way to much in the tire.... but it even says on the sticker on the inside of the driver side door frame 33 all around?

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
As far as having the crack repaired id rather opt for buying a new wheel and keeping the one you have as a spare, i wouldnt trust any kind of weld repair on a wheel no matter how good it might be

·
Registered
698 Posts
Have a look on the for sale section here, you can pick up some cheap wheels.
A new one costs €275 from ford when I last checked
I have seen wheels going for about £50 each on this site...
Welding would prob cost about that much anyway.

Also for the wheel pressures I have 32 in the front and 30 in the rear
I'm pretty sure i've seen that on my car.....
In slippy waether lower pressures should give better grip

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would definately opt for a new wheel mate, welding it will alter the properties of the alloy local to the weld, wheels are usually a soft alloy, so not ideal for welding either. It will be safer, easier and probably cheaper in the long run to get a new wheel anyway.

G

·
QUOTE(duckpond @ 26 Dec 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers
Sorry bout wheel, do not weld alloy wheels as u will have bigger probs later at 120 on the motorway..no joke.. i have a background in materials tech btw. Not worth the risk. Happy new year

1 - 12 of 12 Posts